Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Mag Release On G17?

C Sims

From the IDPA Rule Book under the provisions for Stock Service Pistol:

INCLUSIVE list of permitted modifications: (If it's not on this list, it can't be used in Defensive Pistol competition.)

· Change of sights to another conventional notch and post type

· Change of grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips)

· Slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape

· Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained

· Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection

· Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration

· Custom finishes

NON-INCLUSIVE list of EXCLUDED modifications:

· Externally visible modifications other than grips or sights

· Heavy barrels and/or barrel sleeves (factory or aftermarket)

· Guide rods made of a material different than the factory part it replaces

· Add on weights of any type, weighted magazines

· Sights of non-standard notch and post type

· Porting of barrels (factory or aftermarket)

· Compensators

Since the G34-type extended mag release is not on the list of permitted modifications, and is an externally visible modification, I'd say the answer to the question is "No."

Actually Duane, I think this has been changed. I spoke with Ken Hackathorn last spring at a local match about this issue and he said, Glock is producing 17's on special order w/ the longer release and it was ok to add. So I put one on my 17, not that I usually use it as I usually shoot a 34 when I shoot SSP.

FWIW

Seth

Following is an e-mail that I sent to IDPA asking the question. Their answers are interspersed with my questions.

Sir,

I will answer below.

Sincerely,

Sandra Tumbleson

IDPA Staff

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 5:49 AM

To: info@idpa.com

Subject: Rules Questions

1. Are fiber optic front sights permitted? 1 & 2 Yes as long as they are of standard notch and post design.

2. Are fiber optic rear sights permitted?

3. Are extended slide locks and mag releases permitted on Glock 17’s in SSP? 3 & 4. Yes as long as they still meet all other division criteria.

4. Are extended slide locks and mag releases permitted on Glock 22’s in SSP?

5. Are metal guide rods permitted on Glocks in SSP? Excluded modification: Guide rod made of a material different than the factory part if replaces.

6. What class does a stock Springfield Armory XD compete in? The XD belongs in ESP.

Thanks.

Here is the reply that I got back from IDPA HQ regarding the following question:

IDPA HQ,

Can I have the same extended mag release on my G17 that the G34 comes from the factory with and shoot SSP in IDPA? I beleive that the G17 can be ordered from the factory with the extended mag release, but not 100% sure on this.

Answer From HQ:

Sir,

This is legal modification for the Glock and it doesn’t change the division.

Sincerely,

Sandra Tumbleson

IDPA Staff

I would say that pretty much answers my question! :D

Wow I asked IDPA the same Question about a year ago about the extended mag and slide release. They told me that it was not allowed. Now there telling you the complete opposite. It is still good news to hear.