Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-Dillon dies in Dillon 550

Do any of you guys use Non-Dillon dies in your 550's? How does it work out?

I plan on using my RCBS dies...

Will I have any probloms? I know the Dillon 550's seat and crimp in different stations.. Will I have to buy a Lee FCD or something like that?

I hope I posted this in the correct place.

Edited by benos
changed "None Dillon" to "Non-Dillon"

Do any of you guys use None Dillon dies in your 550's? How does it work out?

Will I have any probloms? I know the Dillon 550's seat and crimp in different stations.. Will I have to buy a Lee FCD or something like that?

you will have no problems with non dillon dies. all i use are RCBS's

the crimp is up to you, if you wanna use a die that seats and crimps in one step thats fine. but you will have the last station empty

the lee FCD's are awesome, and do a better job than seating/crimping dies

Agreed. I use some Dillon, some Redding - both are good dies and run well in my 550. I must say I prefer the Dillons for some reason....

Scott

Do any of you guys use None Dillon dies in your 550's? How does it work out?

you will have no problems with non dillon dies. all i use are RCBS's

the crimp is up to you, if you wanna use a die that seats and crimps in one step thats fine. but you will have the last station empty

the lee FCD's are awesome, and do a better job than seating/crimping dies

I use RCBS and Lee dies on my 550 and 650. The only problem you might run in to is that some of the non-Dillon dies are shorter and you sometimes have to put the lock nut on the bottom of the tool head instead of the top. Other than that, you should have no problems.

I mix and match dies all the time on my toolheads, only problem that i have encountered would be that other company's dies the toolhead doesnt have enuff room for the lockrings....solution for me, was to call dillon and get a pack of 20 extra dillon lock rings....bingo, problem solved, least fo me

• 2 weeks later...

Used to use Lee dies. Now use Redding Pro Series exclusively, except for the .380 ACP which are Dillon. Get them at dealer price from Graf's which make them cheaper than Dillon at retail. I don't buy bulk equipment from Dillon so I can't get dealer discounts there. Graf's suffices for now.

I use Redding Competition Seating Dies - especially useful in 10mm/.40, since I can note the micrometer setting and quickly set the seating depth when changing between those two cartridges. Brian E suggested using a marker on the threads of the other (Dillon) dies and that helps speed the 10mm - .40 changes.