Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any xfive .40 in limited....

fastarget

Price wise from what I have seen, Ghostholster(Angus) at $1575, and Buds Guns, around $1606. My understanding is that the Max Michel Sig was set up by Bedell, but I can't say for sure. I have not heard anything negative about GGI(Bruce Gray).

Husky,

Are you shooting a 9 as well, Matt seems like his is a 9mm. What classes are you in and how much fun are you having.....

Recently I've been shooting a 9mm X-Five Allround in Production. Prior to that I was switching between alloy framed and stainless framed P226s. The Allround makes me happy just by picking it up, so I think I'm done mixing it up for the time being. In short, I love my X-Five and I wish I purchased one sooner.

I've never shot any division other than Production.

Matt, why did you see it is not as good as an sti yet??

I'm guessing that the primary thing Matt would change is the weight. I know he seems to like/build lighter guns and the X-5 is boat anchor heavy as it comes from the factory (45-46.7oz depending on version). An STI full dustcover style gun (Edge) is 38.5oz and a short dustcover style (Eagle) is 33.5oz (those might be without mags...not sure). So that X-5 can be .75lb heavier than a stock STI....and I think Matt normally lightens his up a bit (slide weight mostly) so it could be darned near a pound difference between the two.

To be fair, you have to put that in context. Matt is a GM and what works well for him isn't going to work for everybody else out there. Personally, I think most folks will do better with a slightly heavier gun that shoots softer since they're not doing blazing transitions in the first place (where weight makes some difference) and they're not able to drive the gun at the speeds necessary to take advantge of a lighter, snappier gun.

So, for some people, and probably a lot of newer shooters, something on the heavy side, like the X-5, might actually be a positive. It all just depends on what works best for you. R,

• 1 month later...

I bought an X-5 last year to tinker with. the gun is beautiful, well made and is dead nuts accurate.

They are HEAVY, Slide inertia is quite noticeable with much felt recoil, even with USPSA major loads.

I want to shoot mine, i just need to address the magazine capacity issues and have the gun lightened up. I assume gray's gun does work on the beavertail to thin them up and allow a higher grip? Does he get rid of the 2 piece guide rod? Or is there anyone that can do this work at a reasonable price?

RM

I bought an X-5 last year to tinker with. the gun is beautiful, well made and is dead nuts accurate.

They are HEAVY, Slide inertia is quite noticeable with much felt recoil, even with USPSA major loads.

I want to shoot mine, i just need to address the magazine capacity issues and have the gun lightened up. I assume gray's gun does work on the beavertail to thin them up and allow a higher grip? Does he get rid of the 2 piece guide rod? Or is there anyone that can do this work at a reasonable price?

RM

Bruce can get rid of the 2 piece buffer assembly. Although it is not really recommended for reasons he can explain. Give Bruce a call and I am sure he will be happy to explain everything.

With Roger Shermans basepad/spring/follower you can get 18rds of 40. I can also get 18rds using a modified follower from a SIG SCT magazine and it allows me to have a magazine that will still lock the slide back.

RM

Bear are you saying that a heavier slide increases the felt recoil?

How about shooting a .40 Allround in Limited or a 226 Elite? They seem to be a bit cheaper and if you shoot a Sig in Production the double single trigger pull is really not a big deal. Yes it would still have to go to Bruce to be competitive but the lower starting price should offset that a little. Just an idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

RM

Bear are you saying that a heavier slide increases the felt recoil?

Yep. More mass=retained energy..

I'm guessing that the primary thing Matt would change is the weight.

G-man is right. The gun is a tank. Good thing is it points well, and it's really accurate out of the box. I can't wait to get a 9mm all around and shoot at the Bianchi Cup, that will be the most accurate gun there in production. Too bad I only have 1 Sig right now...

I cut an ounce out of the frame and slide, but it still comes in somewhere around 45oz. Considering I like my STI's around 36, it's a big difference. I finally prototyped a single piece recoil system for it, and I think it will help. Then you get into the issue that the magwell on it from the factory is almost as bad as not having one on there at all...

Edited by Matt Cheely

I'm guessing that the primary thing Matt would change is the weight.

G-man is right. The gun is a tank. Good thing is it points well, and it's really accurate out of the box. I can't wait to get a 9mm all around and shoot at the Bianchi Cup, that will be the most accurate gun there in production. Too bad I only have 1 Sig right now...

I cut an ounce out of the frame and slide, but it still comes in somewhere around 45oz. Considering I like my STI's around 36, it's a big difference. I finally prototyped a single piece recoil system for it, and I think it will help. Then you get into the issue that the magwell on it from the factory is almost as bad as not having one on there at all...

Any reason you can't use the frame from a x-5 tac? The tactical weighs in at 35.5 oz. I just threw on my 9mm all around slide onto my tac frame to test out at lunch today. Thinking of using it tomorrow in a pro am match (sights are better on the all around).

You probably could, but a hold up is all the X5 pistols are made in Germany so getting support on them is hard. Plus it's expensive...

Well, my hybrid x-5 shot quite well and weighs the same as my sv. Other than lacking a magwell, I think it will work great.