Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd Name Brass

Novcon

I have just received 1000 once fired 40 S&W brass and it has a high percentage of (A MERC and CB&A Cases). Does anyone know anything about these brands? Can I reload, are they safe and any known problems. I have heard bad things about the A MERC brass, like head separation. This ammo will be loaded for IPSC major and weak cases are my first concern.

Everyone else has had major problems with A-Merc....................except me. At least in 9mm anyway. Everyone but me seems to hate S&B, but I've reloaded a gazillion pieces of it in 9mm and had no problems at all.

However, with once-fired brass being practically free these days there's no reason on earth to even mess with anything remotely questionable. It's not worth your gun - or you being damaged. If I have even the slightest concern about brass, in the shitcan it goes.

I nearly blew up my gun about a year ago. It would have if not for the nice, new Federal brass I stupidly overcharged. Two valuable lessons learned.

Dump the Amerc. I have had lots of problems with it new(loaded ammo) and reloads. S&B reloaded sucks to(My experience). If it doesn't say Rem, Win, Speer, or Starline, I don't load it. Stick with reputable names for reloading and you should be OK. My .o2 TXAG

Guest Larry Cazes

I gotta disagree on the S&B. I like this brass quite a bit. It seems more dimensionally consistent and stronger then most of the range brass I get locally. The only other 2 headstamps I like more then S&B are winchester and starline. The primer pockets are a bit tighter then most but this is good for the longevity of the brass. Anybody have any S&B they'd like to send me for cheap?

Larry

If you have a metal salvage facility near you then sell THEM the unwanted brass and take home some lunch money. The local salvage place here pays about .34-.36 cents a pound for it. Or... you might start making a conscioius effort to take on other shooters' throw-away brass and salvage that, too. Depends on whether this is convenient for you or not.

Guest Larry Cazes

SIG Lady, do the salvagers know what the brass is? Fired brass is actually considered hazardous waste due to the high lead content in the residue and therefore must be disposed of properly. I have spent some time helping to maintain a local club range and know how it is required to be handled by law here.

Larry