Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Misused Generational Titles

Steve J

I hate pretentious generational titles that are misused with surnames on name tags (particularly in the military) and on sports uniforms.

It's Joe Blow III or Joe III (if you're royalty or the head of a religion), but it is not Blow III. Just like its Joe Blow, Jr. or Joe Jr., but not Blow Jr.

Everyone in your family is a Blow. You're the third Joe, not the third Blow.

Jeez people get over yourself and learn to use it correctly.

Edited to add an 's'. Spelling counts as does grammar.

Edited by Steve J

<_< Hey Brother

Xmas makes me grouchy too ;)

So many demands, so little time.

I used to just shake my head at the military name tags - Franklin III and the like. What set me off was a Football Jersey on the local news - GAY IV. Really? GAY IV? Isn't that the peace keeping contingency force for San Fran? :ph34r:

I always thought it was misused by George Foreman, with five sons - Jr, III, IV, V, & VI

instead of his son being Jr, Jr's son being III, and so on.

But maybe I'm behind the times...

Guy

And it's perfectly acceptable and occasionally practiced for them all to move up a number when one of the elders dies. How confusing is that? Get over yourself and buy a book of baby names.

I must really be "into" myself since I have no idea what the highlighted part is saying???????????????

Guy

I always thought it was misused by George Foreman, with five sons - Jr, III, IV, V, & VI

Guy

And it's perfectly acceptable and occasionally practiced for them all to move up a number when one of the elders dies. How confusing is that? Get over yourself and buy a book of baby names.

I must really be "into" myself since I have no idea what the highlighted part is saying???????????????

Guy

Guy

That wasn't aimed at you. :blush: That was in reference to George Foreman's 1-5.