Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags Falling

ogiebb

i just got back to shooting 1911 style pistols again after a few years of shooting only Glocks..when i got my S_I pistol i went down to the local range to break it in but while shooting i always accidentally depress the mag release button with the big part of my palm ...is anything wrong with my gun or do i have to learn a new grip? any help will be appreciated....

Do you have an extended mag release/oversize button? If so, the easy fix is to use a regular size button. That's what I did and it cured the problem. I think there is thread here somewhere that talks about using a stronger spring in the mag release, bit I have no first hand experience with this.

John is right, if you have an extended mag release, get rid of it. I had the same problem, it doesn't bother some people but I droped every mag. I think it is easier to change your mag button than your grip. If you have regular mag button than you can try a stronger spring, if that still doesn't work then you will have to change your grip.

I make a point of watching shooters at a match pick up their gun from a barrel or table. Invariably, someone will push their gun down on the extended mag release while grabbing the gun, shoot one round and then utter forth with the famous last words "oh sh#!" and proceed to grab another mag.

It sure can screw up a good day!!!

Dennis

I guess I'm lucky in the way my hands are built. The Arredondo button on my gun fits perfectly into the crook between my palm and bent forefinger.

With the relatively healthy mag catch spring that's in it, even when it's laid on a table loaded the button doesn't get depressed. I use the two-handed lift and grab method to pick it up--it allows me to get a better grip on the gun. I tried Matt Burkett's method (finger on the front of the trigger guard, thumb on grip safety, snap gun into hand), but couldn't get it to work for me. I find looking at the rear sight and making sure I see my hand sliding palm-up on the table towards being underneath the rear sight is all I need to get the gun positioned right... as soon as I see that (the tips of my fingers just about ready to go underneath the sight), I find the target. Works for me.

I agree that light mag catch springs are evil. :)