Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I make a 9mm Gold Team run by loading long?

Chris Spiess

I know it's been talked about, the large frame 9mm mags cause nose dive jams.

1. What exactly is the difference between 9mm mags and 38 Super Mags?
  2. Can this be corrected by using 38 Super mags and loading really long?
  3. What about a spacer option in the 38 Super mags - ala STI/SVI/SPS mags?

The 'new' 9mm mags is the 'old' 38 super mags. The old 38 super mags I really liked for 38 super. They never failed me with the factory follower and slightly modified I could get 19 rounds in them. Springs lasted forever etc.

The 9mm mags has never been reliable and they are supposed to come out with a new magazine, but no idea when this is happening. At shot show 2009, tanfoglio said they had a new magbody in the works. A month ago I got yelled at by EAA for even posting this stuff as they don't know when they're gonna get the new mags... Factory is bumming us out here and I hoped they'd come together with something, but apparently they are having production issues with them or something. No idea. We got some 9mm mags a month back, but not enough to cover all the backorders. And they are still not of the 'new and improved' style we were told about at the shot show.

I haven't tried the 38 super mags for 9mm. Actually today I was looking at how STI solves the issue and starting thinking about having spacers made that would put the rounds in the right place. If 38 super mags works for 9mm that would be great, but no clue yet. Either way, I would think the same solution for pushing the rounds forward will be better than the current mag setup.

Current 9mm mags is one solid indent ala SVI style mags. Current 38 super mags is like STI 38 super mags with two rails.

That's all I've got for now..

The 'new' 9mm mags is the 'old' 38 super mags. The old 38 super mags I really liked for 38 super. They never failed me with the factory follower and slightly modified I could get 19 rounds in them. Springs lasted forever etc.

The 9mm mags has never been reliable and they are supposed to come out with a new magazine, but no idea when this is happening. At shot show 2009, tanfoglio said they had a new magbody in the works. A month ago I got yelled at by EAA for even posting this stuff as they don't know when they're gonna get the new mags... Factory is bumming us out here and I hoped they'd come together with something, but apparently they are having production issues with them or something. No idea. We got some 9mm mags a month back, but not enough to cover all the backorders. And they are still not of the 'new and improved' style we were told about at the shot show.

I haven't tried the 38 super mags for 9mm. Actually today I was looking at how STI solves the issue and starting thinking about having spacers made that would put the rounds in the right place. If 38 super mags works for 9mm that would be great, but no clue yet. Either way, I would think the same solution for pushing the rounds forward will be better than the current mag setup.

Current 9mm mags is one solid indent ala SVI style mags. Current 38 super mags is like STI 38 super mags with two rails.

I couldn't get my .38 super mags to feed 9mm. Constant nose-diving.

I think shimming the mags internally will still leave the release point too far back for reliable presentation of the round to the feed ramp. Best idea I've heard so far is a shim fitted into the the back of the mag well itself that permits the use of a small frame magazine in the large frame opening. This shim would rest against the inside surface of the back strap, and would push the mag forward enough so that it will engage the mag release and put the feed lips release point close enough to the ramp that the round can feed in and roll up under the extractor correctly. Alternatively, a shim fitted EXTERNALLY on the magazine should do the same thing......?

I haven't had a chance to try this mind you, but it does sound like a workable solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I think shimming the mags internally will still leave the release point too far back for reliable presentation of the round to the feed ramp. Best idea I've heard so far is a shim fitted into the the back of the mag well itself that permits the use of a small frame magazine in the large frame opening. This shim would rest against the inside surface of the back strap, and would push the mag forward enough so that it will engage the mag release and put the feed lips release point close enough to the ramp that the round can feed in and roll up under the extractor correctly. Alternatively, a shim fitted EXTERNALLY on the magazine should do the same thing......?

I haven't had a chance to try this mind you, but it does sound like a workable solution.

I have been shooting a Match Elite, Gold Custom & Gold Custom Frame with 9mm top end all year. The other 2 guns are also 9mm. I had the same problem. Thought about adding the shim in mag well also. I found a way to tune the mags so they work. I prefer the 38 super mags as they do not have that front spacer welded in them. If you would like to send me 1 mag I will tune it for you. If it works for you I will tune all of them for you.

Edited by 572chevy

As an experiment, I took a small frame magazine, add a 1/8" shim to the back of it. and in testing at home, it seem to feed correctly (ie hand cycling the action with ball & hollow point ammo) I'm just waiting to see how well the epoxy lasts under recoil.

I have been shooting a Match Elite, Gold Custom & Gold Custom Frame with 9mm top end all year. The other 2 guns are also 9mm. All Large Frames. I had the same problem. Thought about adding the shim in mag well also.

I found a way to tune the mags so they work. I prefer the 38 super mags as they do not have that front spacer welded in them. I use Hennings H-141 base pad and wolf +10 spring. I can get 22 rounds in the mag. They work 100% in all my 9mm's. The stock 18 round mags just need to be tuned and they will work as is.

If you would like to send me 1 mag I will tune it for you. If it works for you I can tune the rest..

• 3 weeks later...
I found a way to tune the mags so they work. I prefer the 38 super mags as they do not have that front spacer welded in them. I use Hennings H-141 base pad and wolf +10 spring. I can get 22 rounds in the mag. They work 100% in all my 9mm's. The stock 18 round mags just need to be tuned and they will work as is.

Would you mind sharing your secret?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Chris,

I am sorry I do not get to this forum to often. I would love to show you guys how to make the 9 & 40 mags run. I will try to make a YouTube video and post it. I will let you know when I get it posted. I to have a gold custom V12. It has been back to EAA 3 times. It has sheared the barrel lugs at the slide and barrel fit each time. They even tried a V8 top end on it. It failed after 3 rounds. They sent me a 9 & 40 Limited top end with 5 mags each because they ran out of parts. Got me through the season. I am waiting for them to get another 9 major top end. I assume I get to keep these top ends. I hope you can get yours to work. True Blue is the powder I used 8 to 8.2 grains behind Montana Gold 125 rn. This is a non compressed load. The first top end lasted about 6 months and then the other 2 failed right away.

I have tried this:

put a metal spacer out side of a small frame magazine and they feed but,

mags falls out every round? I tried a small frame catch didnt work. needs

to be shimed sides also but I didnt have any.

I have tried this:

put metal spacer inside the magazine, then used a small frame follower.

this works up to 15 to 16 rds. then it will nose dive, UNLESS use a brand new

ammo! FEED BRAND NEW AMMO AND IT WILL WORK. I only had 16 NEW ammo and fed reloads

to the 170mm, it works with 24rds 100% I'LL TRY ALL NEW AMMO TO 170MM AND SEE?

SEEMS IT CAN FIT 28RDS. If this works out, I will rechamber my super to 9mm barrel!