Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy metal Handgun configuration

Hi

New to the forum as a poster and looking for a more detailed ruling of the handgun requirements for Heavy Metal 3 gun.

I understand the mag capacity limitations and .45 caliber requirement but the rule stating "of a factory configuration" leaves me wondering what I can have on the pistol.

Here's the configuration I have been using in single stack, can somebody help with a ruling on whether it meets the 3 gun HM class rules?

extended slide release

ambi safety

Flared mag well (permanently welded to the frame

extended beaver tail safety

It did not come from the factory like this but is very similar to the factory guns available from other manufacturers.

Hi

New to the forum as a poster and looking for a more detailed ruling of the handgun requirements for Heavy Metal 3 gun.

I understand the mag capacity limitations and .45 caliber requirement but the rule stating "of a factory configuration" leaves me wondering what I can have on the pistol.

Here's the configuration I have been using in single stack, can somebody help with a ruling on whether it meets the 3 gun HM class rules?

extended slide release

ambi safety

It did not come from the factory like this but is very similar to the factory guns available from other manufacturers.

Not sure on the magwell, but other than that you are good to go.

Edited by abn-rgr

Your good to go at the MS 3-gun where we run "Horner rules"

I say that because you can get caspian frames with permanently mounted magwells.

Other matches may be different, and the best thing would be contact the MD or RM for that match prior to the match day. ;)

Hopalong

From the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun rules, 4d address your question specifically;

4. Equipment

a. All firearms used by competitors should be serviceable and safe. If a competitor’s

firearm becomes unserviceable during competition, he may replace his/her

firearm with approval of the Match director or designee.

b. A “firearm” system consists of a specific caliber, receiver, barrel, and stock and

sighting system combination. The same firearm system, for each gun, must be

used during the entire match.

c. shotgun barrel and magazine tube shall not be changed for the entire match.

d. Factory configuration is meant to include firearms able to be purchased by the

general public and not experimental.

e......

We added this to our rules because the question "what does factory configuration mean?" came up so much. it basically means a normal shootin iron, no ray guns! :roflol:

jj

Hi

extended slide release

ambi safety

Pretty sure that .40 is allowed for HeMan/Heavy Metal. & for 1911s, 'factory configuration" = whatever you want it to be. No way the rule could ba any other way. Not with 1911s.

Heavy Metal is often over-looked by those concerned w/ the rules. I shot the AREA X (withheld to protect the innocent) USPSA 3 gun match earlier this year in which a HM competitor used a Glock 21. USPSA rules state HM hanguns must comply w/ Single Stack rules (ie 1911s only). I think it's a silly rule, so I didn't say anything about the competitior using the Glock.

The more the merrier in HM. I don't think we should be picky about equipment as long as it meets the concept.

:)

Heavy Metal is often over-looked by those concerned w/ the rules. I shot the AREA X (withheld to protect the innocent) USPSA 3 gun match earlier this year in which a HM competitor used a Glock 21. USPSA rules state HM hanguns must comply w/ Single Stack rules (ie 1911s only). I think it's a silly rule, so I didn't say anything about the competitior using the Glock.

The more the merrier in HM. I don't think we should be picky about equipment as long as it meets the concept.

:)

I agree with you that the rule indicating 45 ACP and limit of 8 rds in a mag is sufficient, whether it be a Glock, Para, SIG 220, XD or what ever.

But I am surprised that he shot the Nats and somewhere along the line, an RO didn't do something about the non- compliant pistol. Maybe they

did after your stage.

In HM rules that specifically state SS or 8 rd max, I use my SS. In rules that allow 10 rds in the mags, I use my Para P14.

Craig

He was in my squad. :) I also didn't tell him that his Glock wasn't legal because I didn't want to put him on the spot of making him decide whether or not to tell the RM to bump him to Tac Irons.

But, back to the original question, I expect the mag well will be allowed everywhere for HM.