Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun rifle weight?

Alan Adamson

Curious what you 3gunners rifle weight is. And what basic configuration (not looking for every widget).

How about:

- barrel Length

- Stock

- type hand guards

- type upper/lower assemblies

- type BCG

- minus mag and optics

What does your 3gun rifle weigh?

Edited by Alan Adamson

My brand spanking new 18" JP CTR-02 with the ACE Socom Long stock, heat sink, and 2 sling mounts on the handguard weighs in at 7.2 lbs. I guess I need to get a photo of that bad boy.

The rifle you see here is a 20" Firebird upper with JP BCG on a DPMS lower with JP trigger. It too tips the scales at 7.2 lbs without any optics aboard.

DPMSLoweronFirebird20inchUpper-7.jpg

Not a 3-gun rig, but a hunting rig;

18" barrel in 6.5Gr. w/ A2 flash hider, Spikes Upper/Lower, DPMS mid-length carbon fiber free float tube, six-position telestock. 6lb 9.5oz. I have a fixed 4x on it right now. With that I'm at 7lb 9oz.

I'm contemplating changing to a 2-7x scope and off-set shotgun bead or post on the free float tube for tilt and hose at CQB distances. Hoping to keep it under 8lbs.

My rifle weighs 9lbs 4oz with the optic. But its more a factor of how the rifle balances for me than overall weight. Its taken me over 2 years of trying different setups to arrive at the rifle setup I have been shooting.

I run a 17" light contoured rifle gas Noveske barrel

PRI carbon fiber handguard(competition) mated to a Vltor MUR upper.

BCG is an IonBonded Young lightened NM

Stock is Magpul PRS

Lower is a C3 Defence Billet

Trigger is an AR Gold

Optic is Swarovski Z6i in a LaRue 1.93 mount

Comp is the spectacular super effective SJC Titan

My 3 gun rifle weighs about 9.5 pounds. GI fiberglass stock and handguard w/ Kustom Krylon finish. Springfield NM barrel, .062 front sight, everything else is stock.

Only picture I have handy is w/ the rifle in my jeep.

371837563.jpg

You didn't say anything about ARs... :)

My 3 gun rifle weighs about 9.5 pounds. GI fiberglass stock and handguard w/ Kustom Krylon finish. Springfield NM barrel, .062 front sight, everything else is stock.

371837563.jpg

nope and that was on purpose...

Tod, I totally understand the balance point that you make, however that's a function of overall weight as well.. for example, if the top ends weight less, then the balance point can be made to be the same with lighter backend componets as well.

I know you guys like the PRS, but it's large, bulky and one of the heaviest. I have a UBR that I also really like, has all the features of the PRS, for a few less oz...

I'm most likely going to pick up an upper from Paul at MSTN, but in thinking thru all of this, I decided I'd see what others weighed.... I shall have to pull my RR 16" mid with AA piston out and see what it weight, with UBR :)

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

My AR15 weighs 8lb 10oz. It is a stock Colt R6600 (20" HBar), iron sighted, Miculek comp, JP trigger springs, and a bobbed hammer.

My AR10 weighs 9lb 10oz. It is a stock Armalite Ar10A2 with JP trigger springs and a homemade hammer.

Hurley

371837563.jpg

nope and that was on purpose...

Tod, I totally understand the balance point that you make, however that's a function of overall weight as well.. for example, if the top ends weight less, then the balance point can be made to be the same with lighter backend componets as well.

I know you guys like the PRS, but it's large, bulky and one of the heaviest. I have a UBR that I also really like, has all the features of the PRS, for a few less oz...

I'm most likely going to pick up an upper from Paul at MSTN, but in thinking thru all of this, I decided I'd see what others weighed.... I shall have to pull my RR 16" mid with AA piston out and see what it weight, with UBR :)

Alan

As you shoot some matches and gain some more experience and actually get a stuck case(it will happen)......you'll realize the benefits of the PRS when you buttstoke your UBR on the ground to clear it and watch the tube snap off at the receiver. The PRS is robust and strong. While the UBR is stronger than most other adjustables.....they still break. I have yet to break or even scratch the PRS. I shot with a UBR prior to the PRS.....until it broke doing what I speak of above.

A light rifle actually can have adverse effects in this game. It can become pretty jumpy and harder to settle. I've made them too light before. My rifle now balances well and actually feels light at a little over 9lbs. and does not move when the trigger is pressed.

I think you'll find this to be an evolutionary process. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

371837563.jpg

Where did you get that clamp and base pad or did you make it? I Really like it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about listing weights of handguard/stocks by themselves. I'm looking to lighten up and am currently running a rifle length VTAC on a Stealth upper, with a Ace Socom stock (Heavy). Sucker feels heavy as hell, I don't have a scale so sorry. Would like to see the individual weights of stocks and handguards though.