Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benny Benelli Hill

DblTrbl

Hello all. I am planning on getting a Benelli Super Nova for Heavy Metal 3-Gun> Does anyone know (it's Sunday, no one at Benny's shop) if I can buy the gun directly from Triangle, have the work done and then have the gun sent to me? I live in the Seattle area and would rather not send it across the country if I can get around it. My dad lives in Corpus Christi, he could purchase the gun locally, take it to Benny's shop for the work and then he could sell me the gun and ship it out. I question the the second option on legal grounds. A third option might be to purchase online and have it directly sent to Benny's shop, have the work done then sent to me. The third option might not be possible either. Thoughts and ideas?

Additionally, the Triangle Shooting Sports web page does not list the shotgun work packages. Since this board has the highest percentage of Benny Benellis; what work would you consider vitally necessary with regards to making a top shelf machine? What options would be nice to have but not crucial?

Thanks for the knowledge and replies.

This site is great and I read till they bleed (eyes of course).

Hello all. I am planning on getting a Benelli Super Nova for Heavy Metal 3-Gun> Does anyone know (it's Sunday, no one at Benny's shop) if I can buy the gun directly from Triangle, have the work done and then have the gun sent to me? I live in the Seattle area and would rather not send it across the country if I can get around it. My dad lives in Corpus Christi, he could purchase the gun locally, take it to Benny's shop for the work and then he could sell me the gun and ship it out. I question the the second option on legal grounds. A third option might be to purchase online and have it directly sent to Benny's shop, have the work done then sent to me. The third option might not be possible either. Thoughts and ideas?

Additionally, the Triangle Shooting Sports web page does not list the shotgun work packages. Since this board has the highest percentage of Benny Benellis; what work would you consider vitally necessary with regards to making a top shelf machine? What options would be nice to have but not crucial?

Thanks for the knowledge and replies.

This site is great and I read till they bleed (eyes of course).

thats actually called straw man buying, not supposed to be done. I would personally buy the gun yourself and send it off to Benny, it can't cost too much to just do it the right way.

Sean

I thought it might be a "straw purchase"; thought it might have been avoided by going through the proper channels. e.g. purchase and FFL transfer. Scratch that method.

I guess all these fathers who buy guns for their children for christmas this year are committing a big no-no.

Realistically though, your gun came all the way from Italy. Going around the US a little won't hurt it.

A gift is one thing, a straw purchase is different.

From Wikipedia:

A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves.

A straw purchase is not per se illegal in most cases, except as noted below. For example, someone may purchase an automobile for another who, due to poor credit, cannot purchase it themselves. The purchase is not illegal; however most financial institutions (ie Banks) have very strict policies regarding this unscrupulous practice; if the other party defaults on payment, the original purchaser would be liable for the debt even if s/he could not collect the debt and/or repossess the car from the other party.

However, the term is widely used within the context of United States federal gun laws, whereby a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not. In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.

A gift is one thing, a straw purchase is different.

However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.

It is Christmas time.;)

I read the Wiki also trying to discern whether or not I understood the term correctly. I did. The fact that I had reservations lends itself to the "Do Not Do" list.

Now that we are clear on the ins and outs of gun purchases; what do you guys suggest as mods to the gun?

Well, ask Dad for a christmas gift and then in turn buy him something he has been wanting for a while. Make it a family bonding thing.

As a matter of fact he is being gifted (the guns are mine and several years old) (2) 1911's; one in 45 and one in 9mm. They go out tomorrow. So getting a Benny Benelli for a gift from him would work out fine with me.

Well, ask Dad for a christmas gift and then in turn buy him something he has been wanting for a while. Make it a family bonding thing.

As a matter of fact he is being gifted (the guns are mine and several years old) (2) 1911's; one in 45 and one in 9mm. They go out tomorrow. So getting a Benny Benelli for a gift from him would work out fine with me.

Problem solved.

thats actually called straw man buying, not supposed to be done. I would personally buy the gun yourself and send it off to Benny, it can't cost too much to just do it the right way.

Sean

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Purchasing a gun for someone whom you know cant purchase one of their own legally is a straw purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

If Dad buys it in TX, has Benny work on it, and then sells it to you and sends it to an FFL dealer in your town, and you go in and fill out the 4473 form, it is NOT a straw purchase, since you ultimately filled out the required federal paperwork.

It'd be no different that if you bought it from someone in TX via Gunbroker.

(sorry for the run-on sentence!)

John,

You could just get a Reminton 870 and do what some of the top shooters in HM do and work on it yourself:-)

Hope your build goes good. Welcome to the Forum and if I can help you in any way just catch me at a local match. I will be glad to help you and your multi-gun habit!

See you on the range,

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott

Not sure if youve already gotten this settled but Benny sometimes has guns around that he can transform into your dream 3gun shotgun. give him a call. the whole package that he does to the shotgun is incredible. I think Merlin said one time that his Benny gun will run everything including corn cobs! If you get the whole package on the gun you wont be disappointed.

good luck!

-N