Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vertical foregrip question

Is anyone aware of a major 3gun match our sanctioning organization that does not allow vertical foregrips (without a built in bipod and not long enough to be used as a monopod on level ground)?

• 2 months later...

Legal, but do not let it touch anything dureing fireing or will be bumped to open.

Really Benny? I don't see that in the USPSA rule book - are you referring to another match's rules?

If we say that fore grips bump you to open if they touch then the same applies for mags and I know a lot of guys who have Ralph's cool thing on the bottom of their mags for just that purpose. A fore grip resting on a prop isn’t that big of an advantage - one of those fore grips that has the pop out bipod may be but we have a rule for that.

We should be carful about how many rules we create - it's getting so that to be a good R/O you need to spend so much time "in the book" at home to stay up on everything you don't have time to practice with your guns at the range.

Just some food for thought,

Earl

Many matches allow VFG's but have begun to limit the use of the VFG to just being a gripping device. In other words you can use it to grip the rifle but can not use it to enhance supporting the rifle agains barricades, on the ground, props, etc.

As to monopodding of magazines, some matches have limited monopoding to just one magazine rather than being able to monopod on coupled magazines.

Again look at a particular matches rules to determine what is kosher and what is not.

• 11 months later...

So let me ask a question to clarify this thread--can a vertical foregrip be used in the USPSA tactical or limited multigun divisions? If yes, is there a restriction on using the foregrip as a monopod? I've been shooting multigun for a while but I've just recently started running a local multigun match. This question popped up during the last match and I didn't have a solid answer for it. Anyone willing to anwer and quote rule numbers would be appreciated.

So let me ask a question to clarify this thread--can a vertical foregrip be used in the USPSA tactical or limited multigun divisions? If yes, is there a restriction on using the foregrip as a monopod? I've been shooting multigun for a while but I've just recently started running a local multigun match. This question popped up during the last match and I didn't have a solid answer for it. Anyone willing to anwer and quote rule numbers would be appreciated.

No rules say you cannot use them....but what Benny and some of the others are saying is that, the rules do say you cannot use supporting devices and if you use the VG to say......rest against a table, even a VG which doesn't have a bipod built into it, that can be deemed a "supporting device" bumping you to open.

the Double magazine is something that runs on a match by match basis....I've never shot one that doesn't allow monopoding off of a double mag, but I believe Superstition doesn't allow it (one of those guys correct me if im wrong).

This thread is heading toward the same direction as a few others on what is and what is not, "a supporting device".

to answer the op's question.........VG's are perfectly legal so long as you don't use them as a "supporting device" to shoot off of, which in effect makes shooting with them on your rifle rather problematic, because it is at the RO's discretion to deem what is and what is not "supporting" your rifle

Edited by GorillaTactical

That was long... appears to be match specific???

Made me think about my rifle and I just took off my AFG.

Will try shooting without it, and this way I can rest my handguard without fear of getting bumped to open b/c my AFG was resting on a barrell.

Not that it will matter much which class I am shooting in at this point.

Edited by biga9999

That was long... appears to be match specific???

Made me think about my rifle and I just took off my AFG.

Will try shooting without it, and this way I can rest my handguard without fear of getting bumped to open b/c my AFG was resting on a barrell.

Not that it will matter much which class I am shooting in at this point.

Correct. It really just depends on the MD....out at the BOTW we haven't ever enforced a rule where using a VFG on a table bumps you to open. But some places can. It makes running without a VFG/AFG more desirable if you can get used to it.

With that said, Rob Romero of NST runs and AFV and he is always placing at the top of the tac optics class.....

It ain't the AFG that places Romero at the top (but I'm sure everyone knows that).

To say that you can have a VFG, but then say you cant use it for whatever support you can get out of it is silly. I've seen shooters use mags for support in much the same way as a VFG is used on a barricade or roof prop.

Read the rules for the match...then game it.