Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Special At 165 P.f.

Chuck D

I was curious. Some of the wheelgun guys have experimented with 38 Special loads that make the major p.f. of 165.

Would you be willing to share your component choices ?

Interested in knowing bullet weights, bullet brands and powder choices. ;)

I'm all "jazzed up" about using my S&W 627 in USPSA Production Division this year. Even though major power factor isn't required...I'm curious if it can be done. :lol:

Chuck,

I can't help you on the "major" load components, but it will not help in production division as all loads are scored as minor. I don't shoot in production but I do ocassionaly shoot in limited 10 if there are no other revolver shooters at the match. I don't win, but I don't come in last and I always rub it in on the auto guys.

Joe

Chuck, a couple of good steelshooters in my country wanted to use their 686's in IPSC. They also wanted to shoot major with .38 cases. I shooting a match tomorrow and they might be there. If I see them, I'll ask them what the exact recipe is.

The only thing I clearly remember is that they used 200 grain bullets (German Haendler & Natermann) for their major loads.

Chuck,

I shot my 627 in open division at the area 5 match in 2001. Here is my receipe.

VVn350

180 grn Laser Cast Bullets

OAL-1.470

6.1 grns of powder.

Starline 38 special cases

I am not sure what the velocity was, but I load my stuff pretty close, so I am sure that I wasn't over the 165PF by much.

WARNING-

I was starting to see some pressure problems with this load. Be very careful when working this up.

Chuck, I asked the guy about his load. This is the info he gave me (remember we shoot 170PF over here in Europe, and work up loads with care etc. etc. ;) )

He said he used 200 grain bullets by H&N which I mentioned before. Powder was 5.8 grains of Vith. 3N37

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chuck, no prob.

Three more things.

1) The guy also said he made about 180+PF with that load, so you might want to start veeeerrrry low and work your way up (you were gonna do that anyway, weren't you? ;))

2) He also tried to make major with 158 grain bullets and said pressures were very high.

3)

Chuck, USPSA doesn't allow "major" with .38 special cases. If you want to shoot major, you must use .357 mag cases.

I heard USPSA will drop this rule next year. Posted somewhere in the IPSC/USPSA Questions forum, in the thread about Major PF requirements.