Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disassembly of Ruger 22/45 MK III

jkatz44

Hi,

I have always had problems with disassembly and reassembly of my Ruger 22/45 MK III. I have had to call Ruger 2 TIMES to get this thing back together. I got fed up with it and put it away for awhile. I recently brought it out to clean it to start shooting steel. When I went to swing the main spring housing out of the back strap, it would not swing up. The last time I put it back together was when it called Ruger. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi,

I have always had problems with disassembly and reassembly of my Ruger 22/45 MK III. I have had to call Ruger 2 TIMES to get this thing back together. I got fed up with it and put it away for awhile. I recently brought it out to clean it to start shooting steel. When I went to swing the main spring housing out of the back strap, it would not swing up. The last time I put it back together was when it called Ruger. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

Yes sounds like the hammer strut is not getting into the mainspring cup. Put the clip in and let the hammer down and then make sure the hammer strut is in the spring cup in the mainspring housing before you try to latch the mainspring housing.

Hi,

Thanks,

Jason

Yes sounds like the hammer strut is not getting into the mainspring cup. Put the clip in and let the hammer down and then make sure the hammer strut is in the spring cup in the mainspring housing before you try to latch the mainspring housing.

The problem is that the gun will not dry fire. :unsure:

Even though it won't dry fire, try holding the trigger back while pulling out on the MSH and either pointing the gun up or down. It'll come out if it went in. Sounds like the strut is wedged and not allowing the MSH to swing up. You'll get it if you keep working on it.

EG

Ruger has a couple of good videos on YouTube that may help you out.

Ruger Mark III .22 Pistol Disassembly: http://www.youtube.com/user/RugerFirearms#p/u/40/LGEtudNJua4

Ruger Mark III Pistol Reassembly: http://www.youtube.com/user/RugerFirearms#p/u/29/UeY9s2TYAOk

Hope those helps out.

Thanks for trying to help me, but nothing is working. :angry2:

Hi,

Thanks,

Jason

Try this site : http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/index....7f1c5a7e23721fb

Post a message for Bullseye, he is the ultimate guru on the mark series. I own a Ruger markIII and found all the info for cleaning and mods with pictures of most everything and all the help to complete the job.

I have cussed at my Mark III 22/45 more than a few times.

The first time I went to reassemble it I got it stuck too. I almost gave up and sent it back. The best advice I got was to keep working at it. I found that the video's were more helpful after I knew what to do...

Rimfirecentral has a lot of good info...

After learning the right steps and going through the process a few times it gets easier and the little gun runs like a champ!

Edited by HS101

In my experience, if the hammer strut won't swing up it's because the hammer is being held back by the sear. IOW the gun is cocked. The solution is to hold the trigger to the rear, point the gun downward, and actually jiggle the gun. This will cause the sear and hammer to disengage, then the strut can be flipped out.

In my experience, if the hammer strut won't swing up it's because the hammer is being held back by the sear. IOW the gun is cocked. The solution is to hold the trigger to the rear, point the gun downward, and actually jiggle the gun. This will cause the sear and hammer to disengage, then the strut can be flipped out.

I still haven't figured this thing out. :angry2: I tried the jiggle thing and everything else. I guess i will keep trying.

Let me ask you this since I havn't seen it mentioned in this post. The MKIII has a magazine safety in it. When you are trying to dry-fire the gun do you have an empty magazine installed? You also need the magazine installed in the gun when you try to manipulate the hammer position by turning the gun up or down and pulling the trigger during disassembly. You must also have the safety off.

Do you have the instruction manual for this pistol?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/_manuals/markIII.pdf

Edited by BigTinVA

Let me ask you this since I havn't seen it mentioned in this post. The MKIII has a magazine safety in it. When you are trying to dry-fire the gun do you have an empty magazine installed? You also need the magazine installed in the gun when you try to manipulate the hammer position by turning the gun up or down and pulling the trigger during disassembly. You must also have the safety off.

Do you have the instruction manual for this pistol?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/_manuals/markIII.pdf

I do have a magazine installed when I try to dry fire. I also have the manual.

The owner of my local gun shop told me that he has received a bunch of beer for putting these Ruger .22's back together for people. Do you have a cold six pack and a friendly gun shop that you can drop into and ask for some assistance?

The owner of my local gun shop told me that he has received a bunch of beer for putting these Ruger .22's back together for people. Do you have a cold six pack and a friendly gun shop that you can drop into and ask for some assistance?

I will try this.

Find someone with motre experience to help you. I'm sure this is one of those problems that's actually very easy to solve when you know how. Find someone who knows how. It's difficult if not impossible for us to tell you what to do without seeing the actual gun, without having it in our hands. Find a real live person (read: pistolsmith), have them take the gun in their hands and show you what to do.

The whole "rubber mallet" approach, i.e. "If it won't fit, force it, if it breaks it needed fixing anyway" approach has never done a whole lot for me. :lol:

It took me a little while to understand how those guns take down and go back together..(read 30 minutes of cussing) :roflol:

We have several of them, some are easy...some take a little paitence..our oldest one is the tightest fit.

I know there is a youtube video that shows how to do it...if your search foo is good try to find it.

Jim

Two parts:

Thanks everyone for all of their help. I talked to a very helpful Ruger customer service guy. I explained to him what was going on and he to me what the problem was. I guess the hammer strut was misalligned. He told me to bang the gun on a padded service to release it, allowing the main spring housing to swing out. I tried it out but it didn't work. In the past I called Ruger because I had the same problem and this worked. I am going to take it to a local gun smith.

Edited by jkatz44