Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Stock Help

Suff

I have been shooting IDPA for a few years but am just starting into 3 gun. I bought a new FN SLP Mk1 to play with . The problem is I have short arms and would really like to shorten the stock. I can't seem to find any aftermarket stocks yet. Any suggestions?

You could take it to a gunsmith to have the stock cut and the recoil pad re shaped to fit the shorter stock. Consider 12" LOP if your really short. Another consideration is to see if they make shortened stocks for the Winchester SX II or III as these have similar lineage then see if they are compatible. I've done this stock reshaping to my Rem 1100 with a rifle stock and will be cutting my Choate pistol stock to about the same since I bought a new Mk 1.

The shortest you can go on the SLP is just under an inch. Due to the recoil tube assembly. You can cut 3/4" off the existing stock and reinstall it pretty easy with a little fitting.

00Bullitt,

Have you attempted this modification with success? I've contacted FN for shorter stocks but they do not have anything planned besided that pistol grip which will be longer. If yes to my question, any caveats about the mod and how to proceed? Thanks for your contribution.

Racine

Yes.....it took a little bit of grinding down the recoil pad to fit properly but we did it. We took off an inch which was a bit too much and we had to modify it to work after going that short. You may be able to get a thinner recoil pad and fit it easier than the factory pad.

Yes.....it took a little bit of grinding down the recoil pad to fit properly but we did it. We took off an inch which was a bit too much and we had to modify it to work after going that short. You may be able to get a thinner recoil pad and fit it easier than the factory pad.

Thanks. Can you elaborate? Did you take some plastic off the rear of the butt stock then re-fit the recoil pad to fit that new sized opening? If so was the cut straight down or did you cut at an angle? I spoke to the FN customer assist and he mentioned not taking more than 3/4"-1" and being careful as the recoil pad has to fit the stock... He added that any other stocks would not be available till next summer/fall. I appreciate your help...

Racine

I ended up cutting mine down 3/4". I made a straight cut on my radial arm saw and it worked really well. I did have to grind on the pad to fit. It was slightly too wide and too long due to the stock tappering down.

Edited by Suff

• 4 weeks later...
I ended up cutting mine down 3/4". I made a straight cut on my radial arm saw and it worked really well. I did have to grind on the pad to fit. It was slightly too wide and too long due to the stock tappering down.

Suff,

Is there anyway you or anyone can post pics of this mod so I can see what I have to do? I asked my gunsmith( a good 1911 & rifle smith BTW) but he declined it as "...not doable..." with the synthetic stock?

I've got a regular metal band saw and a dremel but more detail would be appreciated. I know it's doable since my old Remy smith in Oregon did it to my 1100. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Racine

• 2 weeks later...

Suff,

Is there anyway you or anyone can post pics of this mod so I can see what I have to do? I asked my gunsmith( a good 1911 & rifle smith BTW) but he declined it as "...not doable..." with the synthetic stock?

I've got a regular metal band saw and a dremel but more detail would be appreciated. I know it's doable since my old Remy smith in Oregon did it to my 1100. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Racine

It is doable but with a hollow stock you often have to epoxy a dowel inside to have something for the recoil pad screws to bite into.

The existing holes will not match when shortened.

I band sawed 3/4" off and re-installed the same recoil pad.

Take the stock off

Mark the length with a piece of masking tape and cut through the tape to prevent scuffing or chipping.

A stationary disk sander or a belt sander help in grinding the pad down to the right profile.

Don't cut at an angle, just mark on the masking tape 3/4 or whatever you decide all around from the original length with a tri-square

As long as you cut straight and square, You really can't screw anything up too bad.

If you mess up the pad you can buy another one from brownells which might even be better for fitting to a hollow stock.

Or you might look up someone who does stock fitting for trap guns in your area. Trap shooters are always getting stocks custom fitted.

My buddy helped me rig this Remington 1100 Speedfeed Tac IV S onto my SLP. The fit is great and it didn't take very long. The stock is almost two inches shorter than the factory stock. I dig it. I believe the instructions were posted by mike 45.

If you can find a different recoil pad you could take off about another inch for almost 3 inches total.

post-22503-126526215884_thumb.jpg

post-22503-126526217179_thumb.jpg

post-22503-126526218643_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigborektm

I did the same thing Bigbore did and it works great...especially if you want a pistol grip. I recommend taking your recoil pad off and putting a piece of Starboard( can be found at a boating supply store) on there in its place. It is 1/4" deep and you can form it to fit anything. It is hard but the recoil does not bother me on a SLP. Additionally it is nice having a hard thin recoil pad that does not catch on your shirt. When cutting the Stock as per Mike 45's directions cut the rear of the trigger assembly hole first before you fit the back of the receiver plate. Good luck