Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr. 9mm Precision (moly coated)

sirveyr

Yes, I used the search function. I didn't find what I was looking for. :rolleyes:

I am looking to load 147gr. 9mm Precision. Based on the large amounts of smoke that TiteGroup produces when used with moly bullets, my slower burning powder choices are Universal Clay's and Power Pistol. The only manuals that I have are Lee and Hornady. Neither of these have any data for 147 lead, using the powders that I have access to. I did load some up with 3.4 of Universal, based on a old Lyman load that I had, but I've not chrono'd them yet. I think this is the max load if I recall.

I will me shooting them out of a G34 and SA 1911 and I'm looking to make minor, BTW. Thanks for any help that all of you can give.

Edited by sirveyr

sirveyr, if you can get WSF powder, i have found 3.2gr loaded out to 1.145 will get you a pf of 127. at least that is what i get with my 34 when a chono'd them. i went ahead and bumped it to 3.3gr just to make sure i have enough power for poorly set steel. this load shoots reaaly well with the precision 147's. it shoots real smooth. i think you will be impressed with it.

Whats wrong with smoke ??

Not a thing. But compared to jacketed loads...... Especially shooting indoors in the winter.

BBI 147gr

3.4gr Solo 1000

OAL: 1.15"

854fps

125.5 pf

4.25" p226

Edited by Z32MadMan

Whats wrong with smoke ??

Not a thing. But compared to jacketed loads...... Especially shooting indoors in the winter.

BBI 147gr

3.4gr Solo 1000

OAL: 1.15"

854fps

125.5 pf

4.25" p226

125.5 PF! :surprise: There's nothin' like livin' on the edge, right? :roflol:

Thanks to everyone who responded. I see a few recommendations for Solo 1000. All of the burn-rate charts that I've seen rank that as a fairly fast and hot powder, I guess the charts are wrong.

I should've phrased my question differently in the OP. I already have a few pounds of Power Pistol and Universal Clays, so I was looking for a load that utilized those powders. I guess there is always the trial and error method...that usually ends well when it is applied to hand loads, huh? :rolleyes:

Thanks and shoot straight.

You'll find that quite a few like solo1000 with heavy bullet 9mm loads, especially lead/moly. That is why you see the recommendations. Just start reading the 9mm reloading thread and you should find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Again, thanks to all that replied. I finally got to the range to chrono some rounds. I shot 25 rounds of each using a SA 1911. Here are the results:

147 Precision (BBI)

3.0 Universal

Avg: 874

H: 890

L: 856

SD: 18

PF: 128.4

3.2 Universal

Avg: 926

H: 938

L: 909

SD: 7

PF: 136.1

3.4 Universal

Avg: 970

H: 992

L: 937

SD: 14

PF: 142.6

The charts arent wrong. Solo is slightly faster than TG, and shoots softer. But it burns so much COOLER than TG that it doesnt smoke so much. Burn temp is more important than rate.

Thanks for this info. I think I'll try some Solo 1000...after use up a pound of Universal. :rolleyes:

3.6 Solo1000 147 Precision Moly @ 1.11 gives me 136 PF out of a 5" M&P. Still smokes a little but it is soft and accurate for me. Good Luck.

I run 3.5 gn of Solo 1000 at 130-132 PF, same gun (M&P PRO). Black-Bullet-International 147gr Moly.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=147gr+moly

5 page thread on this question

147gr and moly in the search box gave me tons of threads to look at.

Ahh, the search police have shown up. <_< It is quite obvious that your Search-Fu is far superior to mine. I can only hope that we do not meet in a dark alley while searching for something...you would surely defeat me. :cheers:

Thanks for the info, though. I'll browse through it after work. Unlike some government employees that are reading this post right now. You know who you are. :roflol:

American Select works VERY well with Precision Moly coated....it's my current favorite....somewhat fast burning, but it's clean and very economical...only trouble is that it's a flat flake, so be aware of that, if your powder measure is picky about flake powders.....It would be reckless for me to advise a starting or MAX weight, but the Hornady book lists it (HINT HINT)....

Lyman data for lead 147gr:

Power Pistol - START 4.1gr, 939 FPS - MAX 4.6gr, 1033 FPS

Universal - START 3.0gr, 875 FPS - MAX 3.4gr, 969 FPS

I myself am running 5gr of PP under Berry's 147gr for my 92FS. Yeah, it's a max load, but I haven't seen any real pressure signs with it. Definitely has some oomph behind it, but I need it to cycle the 92 with a fixed-mount Trident. I haven't chronoed those loads, since I don't use them for anything else, but I can assure you that they are still subsonic. ;)

It would be reckless for me to advise a starting or MAX weight, but the Hornady book lists it (HINT HINT)....

No entries for American Select w/ 147gr projos in any of my books...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=147gr+moly

5 page thread on this question

147gr and moly in the search box gave me tons of threads to look at.

Ahh, the search police have shown up. <_< It is quite obvious that your Search-Fu is far superior to mine. I can only hope that we do not meet in a dark alley while searching for something...you would surely defeat me. :cheers:

Thanks for the info, though. I'll browse through it after work. Unlike some government employees that are reading this post right now. You know who you are. :roflol:

Yes, my search-fu is strong... only because I started the thread in question ;) It was a while back, and I tested a bunch of powders with this bullet. There were many others who chimed in after my inital testing with other loads to test out and their results. Just trying to help you narrow down the testing etc.

Lyman data for lead 147gr:

Power Pistol - START 4.1gr, 939 FPS - MAX 4.6gr, 1033 FPS

Universal - START 3.0gr, 875 FPS - MAX 3.4gr, 969 FPS

I myself am running 5gr of PP under Berry's 147gr for my 92FS. Yeah, it's a max load, but I haven't seen any real pressure signs with it. Definitely has some oomph behind it, but I need it to cycle the 92 with a fixed-mount Trident. I haven't chronoed those loads, since I don't use them for anything else, but I can assure you that they are still subsonic. ;)

It would be reckless for me to advise a starting or MAX weight, but the Hornady book lists it (HINT HINT)....

No entries for American Select w/ 147gr projos in any of my books...

wow you are absolutely correct....I could swear I saw that load, but I am wrong...maybe AS is a little fast for that load...they do, however, list power pistol...which is pretty darn close...even precision recommends it....but I also just realized that 147 gn. in 9x19 has the option of AA #7....WOW!!! I would load #7 w/o hesitation...that is one hell of a stable and safe powder....5 gn to 6.7 is the range in the book....that's not exactly a cheap load (power pistol would be WAY cheaper), but #7 is such a fantastic powder....it might be a bit much for moly coated lead, but I would give it a try...

sorry about the mix-up on my part (about the american select)....I wonder if it's totally un-usable in 9x19....I think it's one of the best powders on the market today....it's so clean and so cheap....I can easily make major with it in 45 w/o even being close to max load....5.7 gn with a 200 gn swc and I am there...easy to control, clean burning, cheap...my only complaint is that it's a flat flake (meters a bit funny sometimes) and seems to be a bit tricky at cold temp.

also american select sounds different than other powders...it's more of a bottom end boom, than a crack or pop....it's a quiet powder...and so easy to control (I must have mentioned that a few times already) :blush:

sorry about the mix-up on my part (about the american select)....I wonder if it's totally un-usable in 9x19....I think it's one of the best powders on the market today....it's so clean and so cheap....I can easily make major with it in 45 w/o even being close to max load....5.7 gn with a 200 gn swc and I am there...easy to control, clean burning, cheap...my only complaint is that it's a flat flake (meters a bit funny sometimes) and seems to be a bit tricky at cold temp.

This is getting a little off-track... but I have plenty of data with AS for 115gr and 124g and have used it in such. Personally, though, I found I preferred the recoil characteristics of good ol' W231 in similar loads.

also american select sounds different than other powders...it's more of a bottom end boom, than a crack or pop....it's a quiet powder...and so easy to control (I must have mentioned that a few times already) :blush:

Sounds like another reason to search out some AS 147gr load data, if I can safely get it hot enough to cycle the 92... ;)

This is getting a little off-track... but I have plenty of data with AS for 115gr and 124g and have used it in such. Personally, though, I found I preferred the recoil characteristics of good ol' W231 in similar loads.

Sounds like another reason to search out some AS 147gr load data, if I can safely get it hot enough to cycle the 92... ;)

231 is hard to beat....have you noticed that it get's a little finicky at temperature? I know that it meters very well though......it's a bit snappy....to me american select seems to "roll" a bit more....but then again AS is #16 on the burn rate chart....so that makes sense....I just love the AS because it's so cheap, so clean, so safe and quiet/easy to control.....I do not like it's inconsistency though...flat flakes tend to move around a bit in my measure....would love to see a load that makes major pF in AS....it would wind up being somewhere around 3.7 to 4 gn....I think....that's a cheap load...