Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Kote at home?

rrflyer

I need to coat my 1911 as it starts to surface rust in the worn areas pretty quickly. Currently I just leave it wrapped in a oil towel but that doesn't do great thigns for grip.

Anyhow I've used/applied duracoat but was super impressed with it. I've heard gunkote is quite a bit tuffer.

Has anyone applied this at home? I have a local guy who does it but he wants 200 and a few weeks........

And I think for 200 I can probably just have it hardchromed.

If you used the two part air spray duracoat and wernt impressed you wont be impressed with Gunkote either. Duracoat seems to be about the best of the home finishes. You might wanna just send it out for ionbond.

I've Duracoated three weapons and achieved varied results. When applied over a fresh Parkeriize'd finish it seems to hold up well. When applied to bare metal it holds up OK, but not as well as over a new Parkerized finish. Now here's the tricky part for me; the amount of material applied as well as the amount of hardener added all seem to affect the overall finish and the durability. And I've not done it enough to figure out all the variables. Oh yeah, I also heated up the parts prior to spraying to "open the pores" of the metal.

I had a local 'smith apply a finish to a hunting rifle (Cera Kote or Gun Kote) and my better Duracoat definitely compares.

All that said, I think I'm out of the business of coating firearms as there is just too much to learn to get it 'just right'. I would go for hard-chromed if you can get it for $200. I've got an old nickel S&W hand-ejector that I want to send to APW but every time I get the $$$ together I spend it on something else :)

My 2 cents.

Edited by atlscrog

I need to coat my 1911 as it starts to surface rust in the worn areas pretty quickly. Currently I just leave it wrapped in a oil towel but that doesn't do great thigns for grip.

Anyhow I've used/applied duracoat but was super impressed with it. I've heard gunkote is quite a bit tuffer.

Has anyone applied this at home? I have a local guy who does it but he wants 200 and a few weeks........

And I think for 200 I can probably just have it hardchromed.

I have a friend that Gunkoted his entire LMT CQB. It went on nice, and he is happy with it. But the devil is in the surface prep. Get it wrong, and you'll be looking for someone to blast it off for you when it chips or peels, and you'll be in the same boat again.

Your better off using an airbrush to apply it, not the spray can. If you don't have an airbrush, the spray will work, you just have to be careful and watch for runs.

I wouldn't consider sending it out to be done. Like you said, for $200, there are better finishes available, unless you want a camo 1911.

Contact Rodney at http://www.randjguns.com/ & talk with him about his coatings. He does nice work & can do just the slide, if you are interested, for a very reasonable price. (It shows $65 on the website).

Good work, & a good guy!

No, I don't work there or get anything from him getting business but he is my friend.

MLM

You can go to the Brownell's web site, and they have a video that shows how to prep the weapon, and how to apply the finish. I have done several guns, but they were already in bad shape (nothing to lose), and are little used. But with that said, the Gun Kote seems to be a good finish for what it is, and not that complicated to apply. Oh, and by the way hello to everyone.

Edited by randy45