Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder Choice For .45 ?

LoneWolf

I've finally gotten my 9mm load perfected and I'm using Hodgdon Tioghtgroup. Now I'm working on a load for my .45. It will be just for target shooting and I am looking for low recoil and a relatively clean powder. Would you go with the Hodgdon Tightroup or the Hodgdon Clays ? Or something else ? Thanks

I use TG for 9, 40 and 45 (I rarely load/shoot 45). It makes my powder buying pretty simple.

But, for a light target load in 45...for plinking...TG might not be the cleanest answer. Reports are that it runs cleaner at a highier pressure.

If you try a search of the reloading section on the 1911forums.com, you will find a treasure of 45 load info.

Guest Larry Cazes

I have used both clays and titegroup extensively for .45acp and my choice is.......Neither. I have had the best results overall using winchester WST. Clays will yield you the softest shooting load but it is not extremely accurate and a 170pf load with any bullet i've tried is borderline hot/high pressure. Titegroup is accurate and consistent but it burns pretty dirty and leaves too much soot on the gun for my taste. It is also very flashy and is not suitable for any indoor shooting for this reason, fireballs are cool but can get old quickly. WST is hands down my favorite out of what I've tried. I am currently loading 4.9 grs under a 200 gr. westcoast roundnose bullet for just about 168pf.

Larry

Thanks for the feedback. I guess there is no better way than experimenting. I have TG and Clays already. I tried the TG this morning and I didn't like it in my 45 - it was sooty and flashy. In my 9mm it's great though. I will experiment with the Clays next. I'm using 200 gr RN Rainier bullets on Starline cases. Thanks again and I will post my findings with Clays.

Winchester 231 is my favorite for 45. Cleaner than others, dirtier than some. I just like it. I thought for years that was the powder for 45. I still have 2 pounds of it. I shoot so little 45 that will last me a long time. TXAG

I am in the middle of extensive chrony testing for .45 with 200 gr H&G 68. Tried most of everything on the market. Now testing WST. shot 50 rounds of 4.8 over the screens this morning. Lo 817, Hi 868, ES 51, Avg 845, sd 16. Looks good to me.

Also shot 50 rounds of W231, 5.7 grains as well. Lo 838, Hi 858, Es20, Avg 845, Sd 8. Looks better to me.

Same average fps, but the nod goes to W231 for ES, SD. WST is slightly cleaner, but since I started testing, I have found that to be a non factor as I clean my pistol after each session.

sometimes you can't improve on the old stuff...

Larry, I tried 4.9 WST and the avg was 868, I don't need to go but 825.

4.8 WST would do the trick, it is just that 231 gives smaller ES and SD. I don't care a hoot if it is dirty, I will clean my pistol each time I shoot if the powder gives me what I want and need.

WST is in 2nd place at the time being.

N310, N310, N310, ....Tightgroup. In that order!!!

N310 is the best powder for target use for .45acp.

4,3 grains for 200 grains LSWC

4,5 grains for 200 grains copper plated bullet.

Another advantage of N310: Very uniform charges because of its small grains. Dillon powder measures work superb with N310!

When I shot a 45, my favorite load was WW231 with 185gr XTP's. A local reloader made them for me. Accurate and soft. The sight tracking with that load was easier (for me) than 230's were (less sight movement overall).

BTW - that was in a USP 45