Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fair price for a Dillon 1000?

Better check on parts availability - I don't believe that press is currently supported.

Yep, that's an issue. Frankly I could care less about RL1000, but theres a guy up here with one and an RL1050 that I wouldn't mind. He doesn't want to part them out. If I can buy the package for a fair price and flip the RL1000 it might be worth my time.

Sounds like the machine doesn't break much, and if you do some digging, you can find spares or if needs be, machine replacements.

look for a serail number of 810 or higher, or a primer slide about .200" thick. Earlier ones or non-rebuilt versions have a primer slide about .125" thick.

next, check for excessive wear on the link arm pivot pins. Pull the handle partway down, then wiggle handle sideways. Check and be sure all of the clear plastic case feed tube with microswitch is undamaged. a replacement one is muy $$, as they were machined and glued by hand. Now pull the handle down and try to rotate the toolhead. If it moves, it's worn out. Almost NO parts are available for the RL 1000, so buyer beware

• 2 weeks later...
look for a serail number of 810 or higher, or a primer slide about .200" thick. Earlier ones or non-rebuilt versions have a primer slide about .125" thick.

next, check for excessive wear on the link arm pivot pins. Pull the handle partway down, then wiggle handle sideways. Check and be sure all of the clear plastic case feed tube with microswitch is undamaged. a replacement one is muy $$, as they were machined and glued by hand. Now pull the handle down and try to rotate the toolhead. If it moves, it's worn out. Almost NO parts are available for the RL 1000, so buyer beware

I never knew that the primer slide had changed. Both of mine are in the 500 serial # range and the thin slide.

Dillon I have always wondered what is the highest serial #/ how many RL 1000s produced?

Back to the OP question I have not seen one sell since they are rare. I used to see some listed at what I thought

was an extremely high price but I never saw one actually sell. I got mine as part of a package deal (good price for a 1050 with the 1000s thrown into the deal) also and never got around to selling them. You might have the same problem.

I'll go with Merlin and guess about 1/3 of a used 1050 on price if you can find the right buyer.

They would cost a fortune to produce now. I find them fascinating from a mechanical and manufacturing standpoint.

They operate so smoothly I actually like them better than the 1050. The out of production and lack of parts will stop many

from buying.

You can search for Dillon 1000 and get quite a few threads on the RL 1000 in fact that is how I found this site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am always in the market for Dillon 1000 Loaders, I have purchased many that have needed to be rebuilt, so condition is not that important, as long as all parts & accessories are present. Price naturally depends on condition, what is with the unit and what is missing. I will pay between $750 and $1,000 depending on the previously mentioned criteria.

I can be reached at 219-942-2400

Dennis at www.precisioncartridge.com

Edited by bulletbaron