Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Height of 650?

I am in the process of remodelling an existing room into a dedicated gun/reloading room in my shop building. I need to know the height from the bench to the top of the highest part of a 650 with case feeder and strong mount (just tell me which one you have...the 650 only or the standard).

I don't have my 650 (yet) but want to size the room properly. A standard 8 foot ceiling is just about out of the question due to the height of the shop itself. A person who was 4' 11" built the building so it was sized to him and not 6' 2" me, which is why I have to know.

Thanks!

Kimel,

I have a XL650 on a Strong Mount and I'm 6' tall. My benchtop is 40" above the floor and the top of my case feeder is 41" above my benchtop. The shell plate is 12" above the benchtop. I like to have the shell plate up where I can watch what's going on ;) Also a tall bench top (maybe 42" for your 6'2") is really a back saver so you won't have to stoop over your work space.

Free tip: Costco sells a 1/2" vinyl mat, to stand on, with a hexagon open pattern pattern. It is great to stand on and it catches almost 100% of fallen primers, brass, bullets,shot and other small stuff. You can either pick them out of the holes or simply turn back the mat and pick them up off the floor :D

Steve

C'mon man, plan for the future.. my non-super 1050 stands 38" from the benchtop to the top of the (old-style) casefeeder (OK, my 650 is also 38" from the bench :) )-- neither with strongmounts. Of course you won't be able to get cases into the casefeeder (or primers into the primer tube on a 1050) without at least 2-3 more inches of room over the top.

My benchtop is at 42", so the whole assembly is 80" tall. I'm 6' tall and prefer to load standing up. For me that's a perfect height for working a 650. It's about 1" too tall for a 1050, so I stand on a thick rubber mat.

It may be possible to do a custom lowering job on the casefeeder.. It looks fairly easy to cut a few inches off the mounting pole and casefeed tube if needed.

I dont rember how much I cut off but you can lower the case feeder 6 or 8 inches by cutting the support rod so the case feeder sets at the 1st bend, cut the feed tube for the case feeder a like amount. This also takes a lot of the shake out of the case feeder and it just works better, plus you dont need a step stool to put brass in anymore. The strong mt. is a must have, with the mount and after I lowered the case feeder my 650 is 38 inches from the bench to the top of the case feeder. Hope this helps. Larry

So one wonders why the heck Dillon made the support rod so dang long in the first place? Probably one of those "grab a hunk of tube and use it" when making the prototype and no one ever stopped to engineer it.

Thanks for the answers guys. My current bench top (in the unheatable portion of the shop) is at 40" which with the strong mount on my SDB is just darn near perfect. Another inch would be nice.

So, sounds like a 41" or 42" bench with an 88 inch ceiling (which I can do easily) will do it.

Thanks for the answers! Ya just gotta love the Benosverse. Chock full of good answers! :D