Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 9 witness gold team

Particulars

I might have got one of the last good deals on a gold team - day after I ordered they went up 105 on the site I ordered from which was still lower than any other place I could find - but enough intro --

when I got the new pistol it was very nice - even the ffl who had never seen one up close said it was a nice looking gun - it came with one mag - stainless silver in color with a very nice follower - small base plate - I ordered some more mags from EAA and 520 mag pads from Henning -- the factory mags have arrived and I was very sad - they look nothing like the one that came with the gun - for one they are blued - the followers are disgusting - looks like some kid took an exacto knife to them and played - bits of plastic still hanging on cuts - no cuts the same - the springs ride up under the followers and the first bend in the spring rests on top of the front spacers so that you have to use something to push the spring back and then hold the follower down until you get a bullet in place to hold it down - I tried some bending myself but could not get the springs to seat back off the spacer -- I took them all apart and used nail file to take off rough edges - corrosion x on every thing wiped down - patches filled with rust or rust color gun oil - corrosion x is clear -- put them all together and could only get 15 rounds in each mag - leaving them in now to try to relax the mags a bit -

the new mag that came with gun has no spacer - and no cuts on follower - its very smooth - I have read the comments on mags here but wonder besides the obvious answer of cutting costs - can anyone tell me why EAA would send such crappy mags for such a nice product and they cover themselves with a little pink paper in each mag bag that says (note comes from "EEA custom shop with a P.O box number lol") - this product is sold "as is" and with "all faults" . The entire risk as to the quality and performance of this product is with the buyer..

now what kind of legal gibberish is that -- I have talked with EAA and they seem to be fine people - but they don't really have an answer

and have covered themselves with the above notice - but what gives - if the new gun is able to be shipped with the better mag - why can't these be made buyable at their site - was this just my experience with these mags or is it the norm?

Edited by Particulars

I've only heard of one guy that got his 9mm Gold Team mags working (140mm + the big stick), and he was trying to sell the gun.

There have been rumors of a new magazine design for a while, but I've got my doubts.

Hope you weren't confused by the Europeans using 9mm. They buy the 'small frame' which has fully functional magazines. EAA only imports the 'large frame' which has troubled magazines, especially when you try to add capacity or get a big stick. Personally, I'm not sure how EAA gets away with, considering how much trouble they are to get working.

We're very sorry to tarnish your new purchase, but you should know now, rather than pulling your hair out trying to get the high-cap mags working. Do your best and read a as much as you can here. Talk with Henning, maybe he knows if the newly designed magazines are available yet. Maybe Canyon Creek knows how to get the 9mm working. They do some nice Tanfoglio work.

Worst case, you could convert it to 38 Super and run 38TJ brass like the rest of us.

in retrospect I should have investigated a bit more as to why the 38 special was sold out and the 9 was not - but what blows my mind is that no one has come up with a fix - is this like some rare desease that no pharma company wants to make meds for because it won't make money - I mean this is just some mags we are talking about - and whats the deal with no one being ablr to contact italy and finding out whats going on there - I will make attempts at this - surely someone speaks english there - I am going to get to the bottom of this - like a 12th grade journalism student would - the cost of the gold team while hefty is not anywhere near some of the other custom gun makers which should translate into a bigger piece of pie in the race gun market - so they have all these 1500 dollar guns and cannot sell them because of a 25 dollar mag - makes no sense - not a good business model - unless they are making so much from their limited and stocks they don't really care about the gold because its a speciality item - certainly there has to be some transplated itallions with connections to itallion factory who could make them aware of situation - I wrote an email to vice president of eaa and no response - but perhaps if everyone complained to BBB they would get responses - I mean selling an item that does not have a good aftermarket item to make it functional seems to be a legit complaint - everyone seems to have a just live with it attitude - make adjustments yourself - ream out the nine - do a conversion -- bend the mags - is that anyway to act? -- if this is the case what do you do sell your gun to some other unsuspecting fool and get something else - why should anyone have to suffer with a new out the box well priced gun? I am going to file a complaint with BBB right this moment - thats the start - then I am calling italy -- then I am going whimpering to rich at canyon creek or henning -- and if only I had not made guerny at buds mad - I would be calling him about a trade - lol -

thanks for responses people - but there seems to be a need for more proactive involvement in the name of 9

I just hope I don't anger the tanfoglio hit squad .

Edited by Particulars

http://centralflorida.bbb.org/Find-Busines.../#middle-result

this is BBB - access to filing complaint - says on there no complaints filed in three years - I find that hard to believe that with all the belly aching going on about the magazines for the 9mm no one else has filed a complaint - when posting EAA email address the BBB site said this was not a valid email - are emails even getting through - keith bernkrant president of EAA does not even have an email for you to contact him with - seems hopeless at this point - no body answered Itallian phone number provided at tanfoglio website - of course I don't know what time it is in italy - probably more luck in getting through to the pope - I am not trying to spearhead an uprising but gee wiz - they are selling a product and they need to be accountable for problems with that product - a 1600 dollar gun (not including money spent on pads - mounts and scope ) should not depend on a sub standard 8 dollar wholesale magazine - if the new gun comes with a nice mag - they are out there - why are they not being offered as aftermarket purchases even if they sell for more? the sum of money involved for these EAA mags is small - but thats not the point - its money that would have gone to henning for decent mags had I as the consumer been told by EAA that there were problems with the 9mm mags - ya I know let the buyer beware but come on at least offer a half way decent product that works - don't suppose the county attorney for brevard county where rockledge (EAA) is - is going to take much of an interest since it sounds like hes for gun control - but if he could see past that he would see the point trying to be made - bad business ethics - in my opinion anyway.. eh ah hmmm - anyway how much for a conversion to a 38 - lol..

Particulars, could you please post some pics of the "good" mag that came with your gun? Wondering what it looks like...

I also have a 9mm large frame, and while my investment isn't as great as yours since mine is a Match, I'm also pretty pissed that I bought a gun that it seems I'll have to monkey around with mags from now on to make it work right...

I bought mine in 9mm since I don't reload yet, and it's easy ammo for me to find, not aware of how problematic the 9mm large frames can be... thought I got a bargain in that the Match was half the price of an STI Trojan, which was my next choice for ESP division in IDPA, but with these mag issues seems I would have been better off spending more for a gun that would run reliably...

If contacting the BBB, or reaching out to Tanfoglio will get me mags that'll work, or get them to possibly buy back the pistol or accommodate us in some way, I'm on board...

Edited by ck1

first person I talked to at eaa today said 'we got your email this morning hold on" -- second person did not really feel like talking to me much - stated that magazine with gun was the one everyone says nose dives and so the the magazines they sent me were the fix and if I was not happy with them to send them back for refund - when trying to ask more questions he just kept saying send them back - his name must be curt (ist) - so I was not able to ask the question about if the new mags are for real or just a rumor because according to his statements what I got was the new mags - which is totally redundant because even when I was unloading them by hand there was two nose dives in two different mags - life is too short and money flys free - I am in for about 2 grand now and let the buyer beware had I known this I would have got the sti also - thank you for the information on briley barrels and I have already contacted rich at canyon creek and will be calling him later - I am sorry for the rest of you that I do not have the energy to fight more for what is right - but it seems like they have all their bases covered and rely on first time buyers to keep them going - and tough on anybody who has already bought..

must be using the used cars sales model eh? I am in no way saying anything negative about EAA people - I think they are probably just working with what they have been given to work with in this case - and they will apparently refund with no restock fee in this case but then that kind of leaves you hanging in the wind don't it? so - no real problems with anyone with a fat wallet..

I guess I don't need to post picture of mag that came with gun if its the old kind -

the wind is out of the sales (sails).

I called them two weeks ago about the same exact thing: what's up with the new "improved" mags with the spacer in the rear of the mag that Henning saw at shot show '08?

Their answer: what new mags? the ones you have are supposed to work just great, send them back to us if you want.... whatever. They didn't even say they would contact Tanfoglio and look into it...

IMHO, they are playing dumb. They know there is a problem with the 9mm mags they offer for the large frame guns, it's just that they also know the older ones without the spacer in the front were worse, and makeing their customers happy after the initial sale is just not important to them.

This is pure speculation on my part here, but why would a company with their history of customer service act like this? Probably 'cause they're sitting on a supply of 9mm mags with the spacer in the front that have nose-dive issues, and since they're worthless to the european market, my guess is that they just don't give a shit about getting the improved mags, and won't, ...UNTIL their supply of bum mags dries up.

Hate to say it, but NO small business is so oblivious, or has such poor communication among their employees for them to not know the mags stink and that people are looking for better ones... like I said, I just called a couple weeks ago...

Edited by ck1

Put a Briley .38 barrel in there and it will still work out cheaper than a new 2011. With a gunsmith'd lockup it will super accurate. Ask Rich to build it on one of Henning's slide pins. Super-tight lockup will ensure it lasts for years and ensure reliability.

Brit I am listening to you - my mom was born in london - did the london blitz - then the family moved to a little place called calne -

about 16 miles from Swindon -- where she lived until coming to the states - and funny enough she was recently in loveland colorado for a few weeks. small world eh - I myself lived in oxford and near oxford for about two years many years ago -

at this point in time its too late to whine over getting the 9 to begin with - on the plus side they went up 105 on the site I bought from the very next day after I ordered - its a very nice gun to hold and I just got alex c mount and c scope from henning which also looks very nice - the super 38 round looks a bit bigger and longer than the 9 round - but thats okay by me - I see that the out the barrel speed is fairly close for both - the main reason for 9 to begin with was I have alot of other nines - just easier to find supplies at the local sporting goods store - of course once I get this gun all fixed and ready to go - I will put it away and never touch it again - lol - because it will be too special to shoot lol - actually I am just saying that to get in proper mind set in case this conversion takes a while - I don't want to shoot it as a nine - and then as a 38 - I want a pure experience with it - if that makes any sense.

thanks everybody for your imput - it helped - I almost think I really wanted a 38 to begin with lol --

for those in the same boat and considering conversion I will give general answer for what I found - and what I am doing -- henning - briley barrel - 38 super - $195 - 5, 19 round 38 super mags $80 a piece - slide pins - not that much - henning was good enough to take back the bumper pads that were meant for the 9 magazines - rich at canyon creek - no porting - no longer V-12 - better compression - refit to compensator and pins - around $250 -- shoot 38 super plus P factory ammo for those like me who don't want to reload and don't shoot enough for it to be a money issue on brass - wait time six weeks to two months --- I did not ask rich about the 9x19 or the "read manual before using" printed on side of slide - I don't like either - don't look like it is stamped too deep - I guess if 38 super is printed on barrel thats enough info - oh ya - 115 grain - though all I seen locally was four boxes of 50 130 grain plus p - $25 or so a box .. didn't get today - and tomorrow is vets day and I will be traveling around the city here eating all those free meals they are giving vets because now I am broke and have to lay up some winter fat --- lol --- its fair - in real life I really am a war time service connected vet... Seabees nmcb one ... okay before the donations start flowing in I am only kidding I am not broke - and besides there are some noodles in the cupboards for nourishment... lol

ya I know atlanta arms - but after shipping and not being a buy a case at a time guy - and not paying shipping - it all equals out or pretty close - it was kind of nice talkiing to henning and rich on the same day - they are both really nice guys and help you as you fumble around with what you want to do -

to all you other vets out there past and present - thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

update - in all fairness to EAA they gave me a full refund on magazines even included the original shipping money -

with that said I am trying to remain positive about the 500 additional dollars I will be laying out for 38 super briley barrel

and custom work to have it cut and threaded to fit 9 - also considering kote slide paint to cover everything up including

gold custom logo - who needs the bling to remind you - at any rate since I got gun for low price and will now have a better

barrel along with alex c mount and red dot c scope - its comparitable to what I would have spent at brazo - withdrew my complaint to BBB - since tanfoglio is beyond their reach - what else can EAA do if they have a batch of 9s with issues but continue to try and sell them to uninformed general idiots like me who thought the flagship model would be problem free -- life goes on -- and I guess I am doing my part to help the economy.. I see 9s for sale but no super 38s so perhaps if you want a 38 this is how you have to do it -

by the way how do you access classified section here for buying or selling - I don't see a seperate forum for it - but others

post to visit classified's - all I found was moderators changing rules that you had to have 50 good posts before you could sell

something - but what about buying?

thank you

• 1 month later...

the end of the saga - gun back from canyon creek custom - its now a 38super - henning thought he had a briley barrel for it but did not - so the money went to rich - who thought he had one because henning had just sent some to him - but rich did not have one and so in the end I think it ended up with a tanfoglio match barrel -- rich was good on turn around time and he tweaked some things for me -installed a henning slide stop pin. also gave me added side ports on the compensator - free -- I had requested the barrel not be ported -- so I guess it's a V6 now -- rich fired it everything works - and as you all know - its really cold out and I am in the belly of the beast here so I have not rushed out to shoot it - lol - when its cold like this - its time for cable and a phone call to jimmy johns --- I want to thank both rich and henning for taking the time to talk to me and giving good information for future use...

• 3 weeks later...

For you guys that are having issues with the 9mm versions. My gunsmith came up with a fix....He bought one of the originals and I gave him a CZ small frame mag to check out. He welded a metal plate on the back and some extra material on the sides to center in the mag grip. Tried it and it worked perfect. He ended up buying a 26rd mag and 3 of the SPO1 18 rd mags and all have worked perfect. This sounds like a lot of work, but really it was not bad. He has a total of $130 or so in 4 mags and the metal he had laying around. There was not much in the way of fitting and he has yet to have a failure that was mag related. Hope this gives some of you ideas.

Like philg80, I worked out a similar fix,

I used the EAA small frame magazine for my frame (compact), added an external plywood shim/spacer epoxied to the back of the magazine (yeah, I'll need to replace the plywood & epoxy later, but this will serve for now). With a little fitting and finishing, I can now run pretty much any ammo without worrying about the length or bullet type.

Why bother, buy an new gun and try and sell that one! :blink:

Simple reason is that like what my gunsmith did to 4 magazines is still cheaper than one big stick for a S_I gun!!! And that included the price of magazines....He now has a reliable 9mm open gun that is more unique to him and cheaper overall than the S_I guns.

gee - it never entered my mind to dump my problem on to someone else - karma is not just a word is it?

given the fact that I bought the cheapest 9mm gold team I could find new to begin with and they have since

gone up 200 from the same web site - I feel that the 200 for a new 38 barrel was a give me - I would have had to

pay for mount and scope anyway - and I would have had to pay for some good mags from henning anyway -

and so the only extra - was the work done by rich - and it was nice to meet him and do business with him.

and the gun is very nice to shoot - and theres a lot to be said for 38 super which I would not have known about

had the nine been running perfect - so much so that I will not hesitate to buy a 38 super in the future if

something comes along that I am interested in - short take - in life its no good thinking I would have done this

differently or that differently - if that had been the case I would have run away with my high school librarian

(well if I could have talked her into it) - and lived a quiet life reading books and saying "yes dear." in stead

of the hell and back deal.. I am glad to hear there is a cheaper fix for those that have nines - sounds like a great

idea actually - and I think it was good to share something useful for all the other 9 guys that don't have the cash

to throw at the problem.

hey guys i have been though all this junk with the eaa gold because i also got a sweet deal and the guy who bought it new thought he could shoot standard walmart 9mm though it ,it won"t work but i knew this when i purchased it iam a pro shooter and my gun smith is the best because not only is he a shooter he and todd jarrett started out shooting together and he is a master machinists ,well he already had a gold so i knew what i had to do right off he just purchased a eaa 38 super barrel ,theaded it built me a nice comp ,problem solved check it out on www.jimjoycecustom.com and the 9mm mags can have the inside spacer drilled out and install grams followers and use 38super comp brass and this puppy is a tac driver i love this gun ,it is 10 times the gun that i spent $3500.00 on the sti grand master that i bought from dawson it was in 9 major biggest piece of junk i have ever had .by the way i can get 25rds in each 140 using grams followers and a modified base pad from caspian .it is so nice to have a gun that runs so that i can just have fun .for anyone who owns a eaa gold or any gun check out jim joyce customs this guy builds guns like he is building them for hisself