Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone used a Dryfire Training replacement barrel?

Classic_jon

I have been looking at one of these http://www.blade-tech.com/Training-Barrel-pr-1018.html for a little while now for dryfire practice.

It is not that expensive and does allow you to dryfire without the possibility of an ND when you are doing so.

Second part of this is does anyone know where I can find a weighted practice mag for a Springfield XD service in .40?

Any other suggestions to improve my draw and presentation are welcome! :D

I have used one in a G17 but do not own one. Here is a cheap dry-fire tip, rack the slide to "cock" the pistol then fold a strip of paper a couple time and hold the slide open a little and slide the paper between the chamber and the breech face. This will keep the pistol from going into battery and will allow the trigger to be pulled but it will not fire. This gives you a better feeling action and the little piece of paper is a good visual clue.

The best use for the training barrels is for group training exercises doing things like movement and room clearing.

I have used one in a G17 but do not own one. Here is a cheap dry-fire tip, rack the slide to "cock" the pistol then fold a strip of paper a couple time and hold the slide open a little and slide the paper between the chamber and the breech face. This will keep the pistol from going into battery and will allow the trigger to be pulled but it will not fire. This gives you a better feeling action and the little piece of paper is a good visual clue.

The best use for the training barrels is for group training exercises doing things like movement and room clearing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Will that work when practicing drawing from a SERPA holster? I like the paper Idea but I would think that you may have a chance to bind when drawing if you get it too large. That was one of the reasons I was looking at the replacement barrel in that it would emulate the real barrel for drawing practice.

I have one. It does what it is supposed to . Only thing about using with a holster is it sticks out a little further from then slide than the real barrel does. If your holster has a closed muzzle end it may not fit.

I have one. It does what it is supposed to . Only thing about using with a holster is it sticks out a little further from then slide than the real barrel does. If your holster has a closed muzzle end it may not fit.

Thanks!

I have a standard SERPA with an open end and a 4" service Springfield XD so that should not be an issue :)

I think I may buy one and post here about it after some testing.

Will that work when practicing drawing from a SERPA holster? I like the paper Idea but I would think that you may have a chance to bind when drawing if you get it too large.

No. Not a great big wad, it only takes a sliver and only a tiny bit sticking up - just enough to see. I don't know who first mentioned this here on the forum, but I think Duane Thomas wrote this up in Front Sight.

Will that work when practicing drawing from a SERPA holster? I like the paper Idea but I would think that you may have a chance to bind when drawing if you get it too large.

No. Not a great big wad, it only takes a sliver and only a tiny bit sticking up - just enough to see. I don't know who first mentioned this here on the forum, but I think Duane Thomas wrote this up in Front Sight.

I did a little searching on it after you mentioned it and found it in this thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=92937&hl=

I see what you mean. I was first imagining it hanging out like a little chamber flag but now I get it, thanks :) I will try that for a while.

Now, If I can just find a springfield XD weighted practice mag....

I got this one from LE Targets. You have to take the gun apart, then it slides down the barrel from the chamber end. You cannot chamber a round with this thing in there, and you won't misplace your barrel, either! (A little cheaper than the replacement barrel, too.)

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=TS-5

Wow, for the price I would get 2... I looked around and the ts-6 model seems to fit the bill for my XD service 4". Thanks!

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=TS-6

I don't see a need for a replacement barrel for my own dry fire exercises. I am pretty obsessive about checking for a clear chamber and using dummy loads for practice.

If I was going to be doing a class or training with others, I can see the value. If someone is pointing a gun my way, I'd prefer to see bright yellow- rather than a gaping black hole.

Dryfiring without using live ammo is what keeps me from a ND ;)

----------------------------------------------

VegasOPM Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

I don't see a need for a replacement barrel for my own dry fire exercises. I am pretty obsessive about checking for a clear chamber and using dummy loads for practice.

If I was going to be doing a class or training with others, I can see the value. If someone is pointing a gun my way, I'd prefer to see bright yellow- rather than a gaping black hole.

Much of the reasoning for this is for my own peace of mind when dry firing. I keep ammo out of the same room when I am practicing but when I was practicing reloads with empty mags the other day my comfort level just was not there knowing that there was a "tiny" possibility for an ND in that situation. With a replacement barrel, the chance of that happening is lowered even more since you can not even chamber a round.

Just me being "safety paranoid" :D

So if you forget to take it out and go to a match with it in there (like a snap cap), do you go home?

I can see this in a more structured, multi-person training scenario, but when I dry fire, I want to be doing the exact same things as if I had a live pistol. I don't want one set of "rules" for practice and another for real.

Edited by vluc

So do those barrels catch the striker and keep it from slamming into the breach face like a snap cap?

From looking at the picture on the website it looks that way but, that is a good question to call and ask them to make sure.

(edited because I can't spell)

Edited by Classic_jon

So if you forget to take it out and go to a match with it in there (like a snap cap), do you go home?

I can see this in a more structured, multi-person training scenario, but when I dry fire, I want to be doing the exact same things as if I had a live pistol. I don't want one set of "rules" for practice and another for real.

I would not think so, but if I miss a bright red or yellow peg in the barrel when I am gearing up and inspecting things, and then again when I am at the load and make ready point... I would expect to get poked fun at by my squad mates... a lot! ;)

Your thoughts on this are also exactly the reason I am asking the question here!

I have not used one, I don't really see how it would alter practicing drawing and the initial trigger pull. Do you see how it would alter the dryfire practice process other than not allowing dummy ammo to cycle?? I would think that type of thing is exactly why these types of devices were created? There are a lot of people here with more experience and knowledge than I, and I would rather ask and know, than not ask and get something that will not do what I am buying it for :D

I would not think so, but if I miss a bright red or yellow peg in the barrel when I am gearing up and inspecting things, and then again when I am at the load and make ready point... I would expect to get poked fun at by my squad mates... a lot! ;)

Bet that fellow at Summer Blast last year who popped a snap cap out on his first stage thought the same thing! LOL!

I use one of Bladetech's trainng barrels. I like it when I'm doing group training - it make everyone more comfortable when I demonstrate with my Para. I cut off the end so it will go into my closed bottom holster.

First thing I do with the group is demonstrate the safety barrel to make them comfortable. Still can't bring myself to point the gun at anyone.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
I use one of Bladetech's trainng barrels. I like it when I'm doing group training - it make everyone more comfortable when I demonstrate with my Para. I cut off the end so it will go into my closed bottom holster.

First thing I do with the group is demonstrate the safety barrel to make them comfortable. Still can't bring myself to point the gun at anyone.

Richard

ditto.

I have a replica gun, but I can't demo reloads or malfunction drills with it.

And, yeah, I still can't point the sucker at anybody.

Bet that fellow at Summer Blast last year who popped a snap cap out on his first stage thought the same thing! LOL!

Ouch! :roflol: