Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 gear

steel1212

SANY0002.jpg

As many of you know I've been shooting Single Stack for the past 2 years and have come across a lot that works and a lot that doesn't I was going to spread the wealth and let you know what I've settled on.

My gun is a Trophy Match .40 from Springfield. A lot of people have trouble getting the .40 single stacks to run but with nothing more than good mags and a little feed ramp work from my gunsmith, want2race, its ran like a top. It has a .100 FO front sight, ice magwell, egw raised mag release, SVI long flat trigger, grips are VZ diamond backs G10s with paint work done by Freedom Gunworks, Briley aluminum guide rod, and stock trigger guts for now (they actually where pretty good from the factory!). My mags are Tripp research System mags.

I wanted a .40 so that I could use the same loads as my limited gun. Its also cheaper as I can pick up .40 brass all day long for the local stuff and save my once fired for majors. Bullets are cheaper when you compare jacketed to jacketed as well. If you don't have a good 1911 smith local though it might be a toss up if it will run but typically GOOD mags are the difference maker.

I went with the .100 front sight as I've tried the .090 and its just to hard to find when doing those long shots that you need to see the front sight clearly. My eyes just can't get that .090 crisp.

The Ice Magwell has come on the market and I'm loving it. I've preached and preached on magwells though. For me they aren't to speed up your reloads. Your reloads should gain speed through practice not from a crutch. The magwell MIGHT save a blown mag from going over the burm though. The main benefit for magwells in my opinion is for the grip it gives you. With these big magwells you now have something under your hand to help keep your grip in the same place every time. I'm not Robbie so I need all the help I can get :)

EGW raised mag release. I was skeptical of this at first and I'm still not 100% that it was needed in my gun but it doesn't seem to hurt. The idea behind it is for the round to hit just a little bit higher on the feed ramp for better feeding. I had to file on the over insertion stops of some of my other mags so that they would seat though. One thing to make sure of is that when you have this on that your mag doesn't go flying into your ejector!

The long flat trigger is for my long fingers and for me it helps me to get my finger on the trigger the same place every time instead of to much finger in there.

The VZ Diamond back grips I got because they are the most aggressive grips I could find. Bobby put the art work on there for the pimp factor lol.

Aluminum Briley guide rod. A lot of folks are trying to save weight on their fat 1911s. This one little piece a lot of the time is all you need! I've shot thousands of rounds with mine with no ill effects and I know several guys shooting open with them as well.

My load that I use in this gun consist of either a 180 zero or MG JHP over 4.6 TG with a WSP or 4.5 TG with a WSPM or WSR loaded to 1.180 OAL. I was using 4.7 TG and a WSP but I was making 177PF.

SANY0031.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

The whole reason I decided to do this write up was Flex suggested I talk about the mags I'm using so lets. I'm using Tripp Research System mags with special follower. In the above pic you'll see the 10mm 9 round system mag next to a stock 8 round .45 acp mag. The next image is my back up gun with adjustable novak sights with the system mag in a IDPA box.....like a glove! My primary gun with bomars isn't even close to touching in that box.

Virgil designed the system mags for the "Big ol" 1911 magwells. These mags are 10 rounders cut down to fit in the box but stick out far enough to seat well. They work great!

The followers I had some issues with. The come with a flex follower and after the springs had several thousand rounds on them the followers would rock back enough to go over the slide stop and get stuck in the gun. If you watch my TN match video you'll see me pulling them out. I give TR a call and he sends me some .45 flex followers that have been modified to run in the 10mm mags. He lowers the metal slide stop shelf and puts grooves in the sides of the follower so it will fit in the grooves of the mags. If you order the system mags you'll have to ask for these followers and they will only work with the 10mm mags not the .40s.

Well there is my write up. I'm not the best author so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by steel1212

Thanks a lot for sharing. Im in the process of buying a 1911 in .40 one piece at a time. That will be the next division I try. The info about the mags is really helpful. What load are you using and to what oal? Is the alum. guide rod the only thing you changed to save weight? Thanks for any info! :cheers:

Thanks a lot for sharing. Im in the process of buying a 1911 in .40 one piece at a time. That will be the next division I try. The info about the mags is really helpful. What load are you using and to what oal? Is the alum. guide rod the only thing you changed to save weight? Thanks for any info! :cheers:

My load that I use in this gun consist of either a 180 zero or MG JHP over 4.6 TG with a WSP or 4.5 TG with a WSPM or WSR loaded to 1.180 OAL. I was using 4.7 TG and a WSP but I was making 177PF.

Well the Ice is aluminum as well so if you have a steel MSH that will save some weight over that. I use a TI hammer strut and cap as well. That doesn't save much weight but every little bit adds up. The trophy match is flat topped so that will help also. If I need to dump some more weight the grips are probably pretty heavy and I could switch to wood but man those grips are sexy! :cheers:

Great info Corey, did you need the guide rod to make weight?

Need it, nope, but I don't like swinging around a 43oz gun either. My limited guns unloaded are in the low to mid 30s.

Edited by steel1212

Well the Ice is aluminum as well so if you have a steel MSH that will save some weight over that. I use a TI hammer strut and cap as well. That doesn't save much weight but every little bit adds up. The trophy match is flat topped so that will help also. If I need to dump some more weight the grips are probably pretty heavy and I could switch to wood but man those grips are sexy! :cheers:

Sorry I guess I missed the load data in your first post. Sounds like your guns setup is as sweet as it looks. Being able to have some nice composite grips was kinda high on my want list, its nice to know I can still make weight with all I want. Thanks again.

Sorry I guess I missed the load data in your first post. Sounds like your guns setup is as sweet as it looks. Being able to have some nice composite grips was kinda high on my want list, its nice to know I can still make weight with all I want. Thanks again.

I added it after you asked the question as I forgot to put it in there. Just make sure you weigh your gun when you have everything on there. Not all guns are equal. Different manufactures frames/slides weigh different.

Is the system mag different than the 9rnd 10mm mag on the Tripp website?

yes, its a 10 round mag cut down to fit the box.

I did not see it on the website. How do you get them, and how much are they? Thanks.

I did not see it on the website. How do you get them, and how much are they? Thanks.

You call and ask them for them. I think they are the same price as the 10 rounders or a touch more to do the mod.

Not exactly, but close enough.

The system mag didn't work well in my gun and was probably the least smooth feeding of the bunch. If you put it in the gun, dropped the slide and then hit the mag release it wouldn't drop free. The feed lips were spreading out and dragging on the frame. It did that even with six or seven rounds left. It's also not really long enough to work well with the large Techwell. R,

Not exactly, but close enough.

The system mag didn't work well in my gun and was probably the least smooth feeding of the bunch. If you put it in the gun, dropped the slide and then hit the mag release it wouldn't drop free. The feed lips were spreading out and dragging on the frame. It did that even with six or seven rounds left. It's also not really long enough to work well with the large Techwell. R,

I got that straight from Virgil's mouth. Does the large tech well fit the box? They are designed to still be box legal and they work great when I had the SVIs or the now the ICE. The only problem I had with them was the followers and once I switched over to the hybrids I haven't had any problems what so ever.

I got that straight from Virgil's mouth. Does the large tech well fit the box? They are designed to still be box legal and they work great when I had the SVIs or the now the ICE. The only problem I had with them was the followers and once I switched over to the hybrids I haven't had any problems what so ever.

I spoke to Virgil as well and he said something along the lines of that he started with the same basic tube, but it's not exactly taking a 10rd mag and reworking it. I know he was getting ready to come out with a new version of the system mag, so it may depend on which one it is. The one thing the Tripp is best at is ease of removing the basepad and getting the spring out. Wilsons aren't bad, but not as easy as the Tripp setup.

Yeah, the large Techwell fits the box, but not by much. The system mag with the large TW is almost flush with the bottom of the TW, so it doesn't give you much margin for error. I like to have a little more sticking out past the end of the magwell, so I put the TW on the disk sander and shortened it somewhat and that made a big difference. Wilson mags with the DE extension trimmed a bit in the front are even more positive seating because the back of the pad extends down even farther, but because of the way the gun fits in the box, it doesn't cause a problem.

I spoke to Virgil as well and he said something along the lines of that he started with the same basic tube, but it's not exactly taking a 10rd mag and reworking it. I know he was getting ready to come out with a new version of the system mag, so it may depend on which one it is. The one thing the Tripp is best at is ease of removing the basepad and getting the spring out. Wilsons aren't bad, but not as easy as the Tripp setup.

Yeah, the large Techwell fits the box, but not by much. The system mag with the large TW is almost flush with the bottom of the TW, so it doesn't give you much margin for error. I like to have a little more sticking out past the end of the magwell, so I put the TW on the disk sander and shortened it somewhat and that made a big difference. Wilson mags with the DE extension trimmed a bit in the front are even more positive seating because the back of the pad extends down even farther, but because of the way the gun fits in the box, it doesn't cause a problem.

Like I said when I talked to him he said he cut down 10 rounders. Maybe he came out with a new design I don't know. Mine still have the 10 round witness holes in them as well. Anyway, I never had good luck with the wilson's locking my slide back. The Tripps would every time though. The Wilson would run fine just not lock the slide back.

Like I said when I talked to him he said he cut down 10 rounders. Maybe he came out with a new design I don't know. Mine still have the 10 round witness holes in them as well. Anyway, I never had good luck with the wilson's locking my slide back. The Tripps would every time though. The Wilson would run fine just not lock the slide back.

Oh great...now I've got to go check and see if mine have the 10 round witness holes! lol....

Oh great...now I've got to go check and see if mine have the 10 round witness holes! lol....

:roflol:

• 1 month later...
Hi,

will the Tripp system mags work with the dawson magwell w/o the relief cut insert?..Thanks

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0A4A-1248106887

I seriously doubt any mag with a basepad that has the over insertion stop in the front will work with that insert unless you do some work on the base pad.

Has anybody seen the dawson mags that are suppose to be coming out to work with this magwell?