Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 sideways primer

I just had my first sideways primer in my RL550B. The end of the upstroke just didn't feel right at all...so I stopped and tried to pull the case out of station 1 to check primer seating (I do this occasionally, even when things don't feel wrong). I found I couldn't get the case out. After a bit of head scratching, it occurred to me, "raise the shell plate, and whatever's causing it to stick will probably let go". Pulled the handle down just a bit, and that worked.

The primer is "seated" 90* off how it should be. Is there a safe way to deprime the case, or should I just toss it in the trash?

I'm guessing I'm to blame for the sideways primer. Based on my stock of primers, I've loaded 3900 rounds of 9mm since getting and setting up the press (got it new via BE). I've cleaned the exposed areas and lubricated the piston once. I haven't touched the primer magazine or primer bar since setting it up (other than to load primers). I ran it dry of primers tonight, with the intention of tearing it apart for a good cleaning when I have more time.

How often should that be done (cleaning the primer magazine and bar)?

BTW...I'd noticed recently that the primer bar doesn't always move smoothly, but rather sticks and jumps...and wonder if that could have something to do with it.

Edited by njl

I just had my first sideways primer in my RL550B. The end of the upstroke just didn't feel right at all...so I stopped and tried to pull the case out of station 1 to check primer seating (I do this occasionally, even when things don't feel wrong). I found I couldn't get the case out. After a bit of head scratching, it occurred to me, "raise the shell plate, and whatever's causing it to stick will probably let go". Pulled the handle down just a bit, and that worked.

The primer is "seated" 90* off how it should be. Is there a safe way to deprime the case, or should I just toss it in the trash?

I'm guessing I'm to blame for the sideways primer. Based on my stock of primers, I've loaded 3900 rounds of 9mm since getting and setting up the press (got it new via BE). I've cleaned the exposed areas and lubricated the piston once. I haven't touched the primer magazine or primer bar since setting it up (other than to load primers). I ran it dry of primers tonight, with the intention of tearing it apart for a good cleaning when I have more time.

How often should that be done (cleaning the primer magazine and bar)?

BTW...I'd noticed recently that the primer bar doesn't always move smoothly, but rather sticks and jumps...and wonder if that could have something to do with it.

I have had the same thing happen, and was caused by the sticking and jumping you describe. The primer is being flipped sideways by the eratic motion. The solution is to clean the primer bar and associated parts with alcohol. At 3900 rounds you are about 2900 overdue for a cleaning, unless you are loading new brass, which will not put as much scum in the works. Be careful to lube the two hex head bolts holding the primer tube in place and do not over torque when putting the primer system back together. While some use magic potions to lube the primer bar I believe that just creates more problems. Just keep it clean.

For future reference:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.

be

For future reference:

[*]Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.

be

Trust me, this is 'very' important. :goof:

A.T.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to taking the primer system apart. I'm a little confused by step one. "Polish the frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green scotch brite.

By frame, do you mean the press or the primer housing shield (20263)? Part 14015 (primer track bearing) sits between the press and the priming slide, and appears to be painted black. There's a bit of wear through the paint on it from the slide...but I kind of had the feeling if I hit that part with the scotch brite, I'd remove all the paint. There was quite a bit of black gunk (not sure if it was built up powdered paint or spent primer residue...guessing the latter. It seems like the most contact is between the priming slide and the track bearing. my track bearing even has a few rough points on it...almost like a little grain of something got into the paint when it was wet. Should this part be scotch brited til smooth...regardless of what that does to the coat of paint?

After thoroughly cleaning the slide and bearing with alcohol, things are smoother, but when operating the press, the primer slide still has just a bit of jerkiness to its movement.

The part of the operating rod that goes into the operating rod bracket was black with "gunk". Is that area meant to be lubed, or was this also primer residue?