Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder die adjusts by itself

This is my first post. I'm a new Dillon 650 owner, and can't be more happy with it. I've had it a few months and already loaded about 3000 round on it. No primer problems etc. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum, as I'm also about to start shooting IPSC.

I do have one small problem though. After I adjust the belling and move on to fasten to powder tube to the powder die, when I start loading I see the bell has increased. The die moves further down for some reason. Does anybody have an idea how to avoid this??

The powder die should have the powder container attached and secured on top of the die before adjustments are made. The body of the powder die is rotated in the press to alter the amount of belling. The further down you screw the die into the press the more belling you will get. Turning the die with the powder container attached is impractical if the powder container is firmly fixed to the die, so you need to do a bit of loosening first.

1. Loosen the 2 bolts that hold the powder container onto the top neck of the die. Enough for the container to rotate on the die but not enough for it to come off.

2. Loosen the nut holding the die into the press.

3. Rotate the die in the press to raise it a bit for less belling (or lower it if you need more belling).

4. Insert an empty case at that station in the press then cycle the press and check the belling of the case mouth by the die.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with an unbelled case and rotation of the die until you have the belling set to your liking.

6. Lock the nut holding the die then adjust the position of the powder container and lock the 2 bolts holding the powder container.

It is not necessary to have powder in the container while doing the above.

Make sure that your shellplate is set correctly. If it is too high it will tend to tilt or give if there isn't a round in each stage. So if you set it where you are happy with only one piece of brass in it, it may be tilting toward the power station. Then when a round is across from it, the shellplate won't give or rock as much causing the bell to be greater.

When I set the shellplate, I loosen the lock screw and tighten the shellplate bolt until the shellplate won't turn and back off about 1/8th of a turn and then tighten the lockscrew. You want it to be down as far as it will go without binding.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Thanks everyone.

I'll try it in the weekend were I am going to load some ammo for my half brother. He has a STI Grand Master .38 super, that were are developing a load for using 124 Hornady TC bullets and VV N320. At 5gr we can cover 5 shots with a quarter... needless to say he is very impressed. So am I... the powder dispenser throws very consistent charges....