Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

basements, sump pumps...

-JQ-

...and the idiot who installed our system with too small, too wrong...too everything but right stuff...

Does anyone have plans for a manual pump system powered by a human on a bicycle? No I'm not kidding...would be as a backup in case of emergency.

I have an "extra" bike and trainer which could have a belt run from the flywheel of the trainer to a pump system.

Yeah it has been a nasty morning- water everywhere, stink everywhere, muck, stinking wet dogs dogs...and I haven't gotten ANY real work done yet.

At least roto guy helped with the clog (yes after me trying to snake and siphoning, and etc) - and reinforced what we knew about the small piping...I hate plumbing especially, give me a saw or something with wires but water systems I hate.

I know others have it worse than me today...but yuck!

Thanks I feel better - but I still stink!

Have you looked into the battery back-up systems? I installed one of those a year ago and the peace of mind has been worth the cost. Better than the hampster wheel concept because it'll work when you are not home.

I'm curious about the size of the too-small piping? I just re-did my sump drainage a couple months ago. There is 1.5" coming out of the pump and out of the house, then I opened it up to 2" and ran it approx 100' out to a storm drain (w/ 2-3" slope per 10'). I was planning to do 4" but my dad (who has lots of construction experience) talked me into the 2".

Best of luck. Basements are great... except when something like that happens...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I Think the pipe is a 1 or maybe 1.15...not big enough.

I have looked in to battery backups and will be installing one for sure. I need to do a little more research first.

I like the idea of a bike run generator too. Of course pro cyclist put out around 400 watts...average club racer probably less than half. not sure if that is at the wheel at the spindle.

Thanks for the link!

Oh man, that does stink (pun intended)....glad my basement doesn't have those issues...knock on wood!

Of course pro cyclist put out around 400 watts...average club racer probably less than half. not sure if that is at the wheel at the spindle.

I think it's at the spindle or pretty close...that's where the power tap setups go anyway. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I too have a basement that will flood if the power goes out . When its been raining for a while the sump pump controls the water level under the basement.

I bought a generator for power outages and I installed a battery back up and I add one more battery so there is 2 running it if I am not home.

I replaced the sump pump before it went out and keep the old one as a back up if needed for a fast swap out.

The people that sold me the house never told me about this and I figured it out on the first power outage and borrowed a generator. The neighbors told me that why the moved out. In 10 years the water has never came out of the basket but you have to take steps to see that it dose not . I do it my self so its done my way and not someone else idea .

Brent Good luck !!!

I have been lucky so fare . Its never ran long enough to drain the batteries . I put 2 in hope that if it came on while I was at work it might last till I get home and start the generator. Knock on wood that the power not been off that long when I am gone yet.

If I am home I start the generator and run the sump . Not taking any chances , all my gun, reloading is down there.

Brent

I finally got the sink/drain etc reassembled Saturday morning - about an hour before a neighborhood transformer blew out.

Luckily by this time the rain had moved on - but I thought it was funny how it all seems to happen at once...and right after the battery discussion.

• 1 year later...

Long term follow up...we just had a new sump pump system installed with a back up battery this morning. The battery is supposed to run 5-6 hours continuously, which I was assured is a long time at 15-30 seconds per pump activation.

I'm fairly certain our electricity will never go out again :-)

Good deal, JQ.

I've unplugged my main pump and run on batteries before during a storm while I was home. I wanted to SEE it working for a decent length of time. I let it run on batteries for 4 hrs and it was still going strong. That was before I re-tiled my back yard so now the water gets pumped away better. Previously even moderate rain had the back-up at ~50% duty cycle. Now it hardly has to run in comparison. I don't doubt it could keep up for a day of heavy rains. I also have a generator that I can run the main pump on and re-charge the back-up's battery. And a new back-up main pump in the garage should the main crap out.

Reminds me, I figured I'd replace the battery when it was 3 yrs old... I think I'm getting to that point...

Brent, I had been considering doing two batteries to relieve the long-weekend-away worry. I was in the same boat, previous owners never mentioned a flooding basement. Neighbors knew about it though. Fortunately, since SO much water was always coming into the sump basin I had added the battery unit BEFORE I had troubles. One night I heard the back-up alarming, yet power was on. I went to investigate and the water was coming in so fast the main couldn't keep up, so the backup pump was helping it! I re-tiled the back yard and it's MUCH better now. Had I had a flooded basement, I think I would have gone after the previous owner for damages since they obviously didn't disclose a known problem.

-rvb