Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Book Of Five Rings

As a Martial Arts instructor I recommend that book all the time. Make sure to get the Martial Arts version. It is much better. The first translation of that book from Japanese to English made it all about business type strategy. The Martial Arts version is much better.

Pete

"As a Martial Arts instructor I recommend that book all the time. Make sure to get the Martial Arts version. It is much better. The first translation of that book from Japanese to English made it all about business type strategy. The Martial Arts version is much better."

That is the version I got. I liked what was said in the preface/introduction.

"There is a significant difference between not getting a deal signed and having your cut head off."

Bit of drift, but light/dark, good/evil has a merit with 5 rings. I was first told of a darker side from some other martial arts practitioners back in the mid/late 70's when i was very active. I disagree with the term "illusion" when discussing a philosophy....

When I began to read it again, much like I do with a number of books, there was a focus of sorts that seem to exclude the opponent, to render him/her non-existent and without honor/respect as a worthy or capable foe. To me that smacks of arrogance and a distinct shift in perspective from the discipline (Japanese Shotokan) that I was a practitioner of at the time.

My sensei, Teriuku Okazaki, taught us differently than what I was beginning to pick up from 5. I've learned since then to really evaluate what I read for the possibility that I can, by reading too deeply, be swayed or pull myself off of the path...the downside to trying to learn on your own.

This is where I believe Musashi was in error by training alone, or recommending training alone. just my opinion....

I don't know about a 'darker' or 'lighter' side of Go Rin No Sho. Mushashi wrote about what it takes to win a fight. He was not a philosopher in the sense we attribute to Socrates and Kant. He was a swordsman. His art was heiho, strategy. The art of cutting a man down in battle. Like Machiavelli's The Prince, the book of 5 rings explains how to accomplish a goal without making 'politically correct' judgements. Only in the dojo do we have an attacker and a defender. A 'good' guy and a 'bad' guy. In combat there are only combatants. Your philosophy, conscience, socio-economic situation, or what your mother might think may dictate which side you wound up on, however, once the fight starts you either win or lose. Mushashi teaches how to be a winner. In that sense he is one of the greatest 'philosophers' IMHO, simply because he is not distracted by other than what is. And he was arrogant. ;)

Musashi was arrogant??? hehe I've read a lot about his life. Not only was he arrogant but he was also very dirty. During his time the Bushi (Samurai) were very clean and well kept. Musashi being a Ronin (masterless Samurai) was known to be very grubby all while weilding the greatest of swords. He did whatever it took to win a battle. He was noted to arriving hours late to a fight just to put is opponent in anger which gave him a better chance of beating thus opponent. Too bad his entire life was not documented.

AkiDale...good point!

Reading it from the pespective of people who play games versus people whose life relies on it allows for different interpretations and perspectives. There are no rules in a fight for life.