Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 observations and questions?

I unpacked my 40 S&W caliber conversion for my 650 and was struck by the fact that there are 2 of the case feed adapters - one red (medium) and one purple (smaller diameter). I have reloaded 38 spl, 45 AC, 45 Colt and 223 so far. I don't remember any of those kits coming with multiple adapters, but maybe because the 40 S&W kits is a 40 SW/10 mm. I assumed the major difference was case length (as in 38 spl/357 mag).

I installed the purple one, and installed the small pistol plate in the casefeed - was this correct?

I also noted that the bench wrenches that Dillon sells do not have a 'wrench' for the Die locking rings (other than the powder die). I can't believe I didn't remember this, but just struck me as odd this evening.

Thanks

The 40 conversion setup is for 40 & 10 mm. The Purple is the correct one for 40S&W while the red is for 10mm. Also if your bench wrench does not work on the lock rings supplied with your dies I believe they include extra new style small rings with the press now. I just help setup a 550 last week and it came with 3 extra new style rings which are smaller then standard lock rings. You might have to order a set but they are MUCH easier to deal with than standard rings on the crowded heads.

• 4 weeks later...
The 40 conversion setup is for 40 & 10 mm. The Purple is the correct one for 40S&W while the red is for 10mm. Also if your bench wrench does not work on the lock rings supplied with your dies I believe they include extra new style small rings with the press now. I just help setup a 550 last week and it came with 3 extra new style rings which are smaller then standard lock rings. You might have to order a set but they are MUCH easier to deal with than standard rings on the crowded heads.

I am in the process of switching out all of my old ones right now. i agree the smaller ones are much easier to get onto.

I am in the process of switching out all of my old ones right now. i agree the smaller ones are much easier to get onto.

Agreed - I'm switching mine as I switch calibers. Don't know why they didn't do this long ago (like when I got my first set of dies)!

Agreed - I'm switching mine as I switch calibers. Don't know why they didn't do this long ago (like when I got my first set of dies)!

The 650's "40" conversion comes with a Casefeeder Adapter for both 40 and 10mm.

be