Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP Legal?

voodoonoodle

I have been trying to figure out if this style of dust cover would be legal in ESP or not. The gun pictured below has a butler style dust cover, so technically it is not full length. It is probably about a half an inch short of being full length.

133.jpg

It is hard to tell because the rule book isn't really specific, it just states the following:

Excluded modification:

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Good point about the weight. I don't physically have the gun, I have been debating on purchasing an ESP gun that I could also use in CDP (by changing the barrel) one gun to serve double duty, I normally shoot SSP. Then when I got to looking at 1911/2011s I came upon the gun shown above and fell in love with its looks. So I have been trying to make sure it would be IDPA legal, before I dropped the money on the gun or called and wasted SV's time to ask stupid questions. The only thing I could think would be that the butler style dust cover has already been considered illegal by HQ or something. But I could easily see how the butler style cover could throw the gun over the weight limit.

I dont if SV has aluminum frames, but that's always an option you can consider if the "Butler" dust cover is, in fact, legal. An aluminum frame would probably put you under the limit, but if your gonna use it for CDP as well (165pf+) then that's something you may not want to do.

voodoonoodle, if you're looking for a 2011 combo ESP/CDP pistol, look around for one in 45 ACP and work up a major and minor load for it. I know a couple of guys who do that and they say that 45 minor is like cheating. I've seen a couple offered on this forum. Be safe and get a steel frame with a standard length short dust cover. It will cut down on unnecessary discussions.

ETA: it has to have a barrel bushing too - no bull barrels. ;)

Edited by Steve J

I think that gun has several issues

No bull barrels over 4.2"

No lightening cuts in the slide, my opinion those cuts are much deeper than serrations,

Looks like some kinda recoil reducing guide rod,

Mag release button may stick out too far, hard to tell from pic,

Might go either way on the dust cover.

You dont need a switch barrel for ESP & CDP if you are going doublestack gun, shoot 45, 10 +1 or 8+1.

No lightening cuts in the slide, my opinion those cuts are much deeper than serrations,

You dont need a switch barrel for ESP & CDP if you are going doublestack gun, shoot 45, 10 +1 or 8+1.

It sure does look good though.

It sure does look good though.

Chad... you have a taste for yuppie pimp?

:roflol:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I knew there was alot of other stuff (barrel, etc.) that was not legal for IDPA regrading the gun in the picture. The only reason for posting the picture was to show an example of the butler style stirrup cut.

FYI, I finally heard back from Robert Ray at IDPA HQ, and this was his ruling incase anyone is interested.

"While you are correct that it is not completely a full length dust cover, I am afraid that we will view it as such. We will very likely be adopting the same requirement of USPSA Singlestack which is 3.25 inches from the back of the slide stop pin."

Thanks to everyone for all the information/suggestions.

Edited by voodoonoodle