Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friday Flame War

ErikW

And here's ANOTHER "politeness" disaster: I always sent thank-you notes to employers who interviewed me. Always. But in one certain case (unbeknownst to me at the time) the employer was conducting the search clandestinely without telling me, so when the faxed thank-you rolled into the office (right at the desk of the employee he was about to replace!), he hit the ceiling and gave me a raft of s**t. I told him where to put it and held my ground. The jerk. No WAY was he going to bloody MY nose for being a consummate professional!!! :angry:

Now, I've had a couple of other employers in the past ALERT me to the fact that their search was clandestine, and I simply honored it... at least they had the courtesy to TELL me. <_<

I agree with Rhino. Sorry Jake. Not trying to stereotype younger folks at all.

However, when coming to an interview with me you don't have to wear a suit. Biz casual is fine. I won't be in a suit either. Want to wear ear rings, tongue studs and all that? Fine. I don't actually care. (although the eyebrow piercings do give me the willys for some reason)

But don't damage my property by being negligent and careless. And there is a standing rule on campus against riding skateboards in buildings which is posted so that is a violation. (yes, this happened too)

Wear clean clothes and at least smell like you took a bath today even if you didn't.

What you are trying to get across to the person(s) conducting the interview is that you are serious about the position and willing to invest some effort. If you look like you aren't serious, I won't treat you as a serious candidate.

That's the way I operate and the way most everone else I know operates.

<edit> And maybe, on second thought, Jake wasn't responding to my post anyway....Hmmm....sorry.

I hate that I am still working 6 to 7 days a week, and not getting a pay-check.

I hate that it is the time of year that my already in the shitter business, is getting even slower.

I hate that I shot like "Timmy" this last Thurday night. Didn't "SEE" a damn thing.

I hate that I busted my butt doing yard work all day, on my supposed day off, and I feel like I didn't even make a dent.

I hate that I can't afford to buy my wife a Christmas present for the second year in a row, becuase my business is sucking us dry.

I hate that I didn't win the lottery, so I could retire to Messa and do nothing but shoot. (Would it help if I bought a ticket?)

I hate that I don't talk to any of my old friends, because I don't feel like I have anything I want to talk to them about.

I hate that because my business is a "family business" I have started to hate my family, and have been avoiding them in anyway I can.

I hate there year 2003. I will be very glad to see it gone.