Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises Soft Air SVI Pistol

STIGUY

Thinking about ordering a JP Enterprises Soft Air SVI Pistol and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this one or any others. Did some limited searches and the $200 seems to be pretty good. Live in Dallas with limited time for the range and training! I figured the anticipated use of this will serve me very well,in that according to their website, it functions much like the real thing. Any other suggestions in that price range (if you have first hand experience with it) are as always, greatly appreciated!

it's the sh$t!

The more I look at this and at the ad about to order, I realized it does not use "green gas" which per an article I read has a cheap substitute. Apparently, you can use the propane from the coleman type latterns with some silicone as a replacement for the "green gas". I lot cheaper and easier to find than the the 134 gas or whatever the JP gun uses. So.....I am leaning to the WE Hicappa 5.1, cheaper and uses the "green gas" and "alternative". Kind of want a cheap and readily available source for the fuel. I have seen some post mentioning the Hicappa....so anyone has thoughts on these...durability etc......

THANKS!

Edited by STIGUY

You can modify the SVI to use the propane too. I requires modifying the gun and changing an orifice size, so that it might not work with the 134, but it will work with the propane. The propane is just a higher pressure gas and would eventually damage the gun if not modified.

If you use propane there is an adapter that you put oil in when you fill the gun so you don't ruin the gun. Green gas has oil in it and something to mask the smell. The propane will really smell if used indoors, make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

It's not that they've added something to Green Gas to mask the smell of propane. Propane itself actually has very little smell. It's that commercial propane has had ethyl mercaptan, a sulfur-based compound that gives it that distinctive rotten-egg smell, added to it because makers want people to be able to smell the gas - and to make it a very distinctive, hard to ignore smell - in case of a leak. Green Gas, by contrast, has had perfume added to make it smell "pretty".