Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo for SSR

kmbr45

OK, so I have been a SSP shooter since I started shooting IDPA and I am thinking of getting a new gun (S&W 686 SSR) to shoot some SSR from time to time for fun.

What I am wondering is what are you SSR shooters using for ammo? Based on what I have found, plain jane .38 special ball ammo will not make power factor (125,000). So I am wondering if I am missing something. I assume that most of you are loading some hot .38 rounds or downloading .357 brass.

Thanks,

Daniel

Just a thought.... the factory ammo loads listed above will generally make the 125 PF demanded by IDPA. If you use them, be careful how much you "tune" the trigger on your revolver. When you take a revolver to a lighter pull you reduce hammer blow force. The primers used in the above loads are not "soft". and in a revolver with a "action job" you can get a Bang, Bang, Click. The majority of the gunsmiths that tune DA revolvers (S&W or Ruger, which are the only realistic players in this game) recommend Federal primers, seated below flush with a crush fit. Winchester primers are a decent second choice... but neither Federal or Winchester makes a .38 Special load that will make a 125 PF consistently from a 4-inch barrel. If you are stuck using factory ammo to make a chrono of 125, be careful regarding how much you lighten the trigger on your revolver. It's worth noting that the top SSR IDPA shooters who attend sanctioned matches where the chronograph gets trotted out are all reloaders... and always looking for Federal primers if their guns have had trigger/action work. If you're just shooting club matches, no problem. The PF only comes into play at major matches... but if you've spent hundreds of dollars to be there, it sucks to get DQed on the PF. That's why we reload for SSR.

Chris Christian

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a new lot of Speer Lawman 158 grain TMJ +P in. #53750. From a four inch Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag, on my Oehler 35P, it ran 835-870 fps at 76 degrees air temp. You only need 793 fps to make 125 with a 158 bullet. It was also very accurate ( two inch full cylinder groups at 25 yards from a bench rest). I've had some other lots of 158 Lawman that were really flirting with the required velocity... some chambers made it barely... some didn't... but this lot makes it easily from all six chambers.

Chris Christian

• 2 weeks later...

As these don't need to make PF out of your gun, just a legal gun, it would be nice if we could just test factory fodder and declare the "winners". I guess the conditions the day of the match (temp, etc) will have effect ...

I looked at this some years back and the S&B lead 158's seemed to be the best choice during that time (i.e. was the most available at that time).

As these don't need to make PF out of your gun, just a legal gun, it would be nice if we could just test factory fodder and declare the "winners". I guess the conditions the day of the match (temp, etc) will have effect ...

That would solve some problems, but introduce others.

Pat Sweeny tells the story (paraphrasing here) of when USPSA had a list of factory ammo that was approved. Well one of the approved loads temporarily changed their specs or made some out of spec ammo (not sure) and a handfull of competotors bought cases of this stuff that was way way under the nominal PF (like 170 PF .45 ACP when USPSA major was 190).

It will be interesting to see how/if IDPA adresses this issue in the next rule book.

Edited by Steve Koski

Faith in a "factory" option and 100% competitor compliance is naive.

Can someone tell me how to verify "factory" ammunition without a bullet puller and a chronograph? ICORE does indeed have the "factory" provision, but they chronograph everyone's gun/ammunition system at the IRC "for reference".

Does anyone believe that ammunition in a "factory" brass and a "factory" box with a "factory" bullet profile that produced 95000 PF out a 5" barrel would not raise Nelson's interest?

At local club matches, no one really cares nor checks - just like USPSA and IDPA.

USPSA got it right - set the PF and require the competitor to do demonstrate compliance with their equipment.

Anyone who travels to a major match without understanding their system's capabilities, regardless of component source, is assuming a huge risk.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Craig is right, as is the case with most top shooters in our game,. Why be unsure, if you don't yet reload, good time to start, and if you don't own a chrono, ask around at your local club who does. I'm sure someone will bring it out and everyone at the club can verify their loads, we do that about every other month.