Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thunder vs Titan

RevolverJockey

Has anyone done any comparison between these two comps? I am looking for front sight movement and perceived blast to the shooter inside 50 yards. Currently running a Titan, but thought of giving the Thunder a try - wanted to get some thoughts first. I know there have been a lot of fixture tests and have talked to Pat Kelley and other, seems like most articles and data gear more toward Tac shooters. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I'm not as well versed in this as many on this site, especially Mr Kelley, but I'm not going to be shocked when most say that either the Thunder or the Titan will get you there. Heard a lot of good for both. I have a Titan and it definately works. The lack of movement out of my Colt HBAR (std BCG and buffer) is amazing. It's loud! Then again so is any comp.

Threads like this one now seem to pop up so often I had a shooter at the Area 6 match wonder aloud if it was an organizaed effort by the comp builders.

Eiither of these two work great but then again so do several others. And even if we do a scientific test, results are going to vary by barrel length and ammo and some other factors. Even if we test them all there is a very real subjective portion since some folks feel more comfortable with a different type of recoil even if that recoil is stonger as deomonstrated by the test.

My best advice is take your ammo to the range and shoot a gun with comp A and one with comp B and one with comp C. Make your decision based on personal experience.

I did a big write up about a year ago over on AR15.com comparing the Titan and the Rolling Thunder(progressive and non progressive ports). I'll see if I can dig it up. It was pretty in depth comparing the two and I shot about 150 rounds through each one for a good comparison at varying distances and positions.

The only experience I have with iron sights is a Titan on a heavy metal DPMS 308. And it is flat out amazing how good the Titan works on 308. But LOUD....my god. But it works freakin awesome. I'll take loud any day if it works that good. But for sure....the Titan wins the loudest comp category and none of the others are exactly quiet.

The Rolling Thunder and Titan have been the two most effective comps I have shot on my rifles. And I've also shot a few variations of the SAW Custom that work pretty darn good. You really can't go wrong with either. With that said....I shoot Titans. I just feel that the Titan has a slight edge on my rifle.

I am one of those people that believes in his equipment. I do believe certain equipment gives an advantage. This is one of those pieces of gear in my opinion. There are a handful of shooters out there that are capable of shooting just as good with or without certain equipment. I am one of those people that will stack the deck in my favor if and whenever possible.

And I'll honestly say that good comps are a huge advantage on a rifle in our sport. And so is good practice as Kelly Neal keeps reminding us.there really is no substitute for good practice. Dry or live fire.