Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with .223 Privi Partizan brass

Estimator

I have been reloading for many years and have never had a “stuck case” until yesterday.

I recently obtained a new Bushmaster AR-15 and am loading .223 ammo for the first time. In addition to the brass I have already accumulated, (FC & Lake City), I ordered some Prvi Partizan .223 brass and bullets from Grafs, Inc. (It seemed like a good deal???).

I started the sizing process and use Hornaday One Shot for lube. The One Shot works great and I have never had a problem. During the sizing session one of the shells offered a bit more resistance when entering the die, but nothing to be too concerned with. Upon beginning the ram down stroke, the shell holder pulled right thru the rim.

So, off to the store to purchase a RCBS Stuck Shell Remover. I have put the remainder of the Prvi brass on the shelf until I decide whether to use it or not. If the brass is too soft for “mil spec” I don’t want to have a situation where the extractor pulls thru the rim and I end up on the range with a stuck case in the chamber.

If others have had experience with Prvi Partizan brass/bullets, good or bad; your input is most welcome here.

I've never had the slightest problem with PRVI brass. Altho all have mine have been once fired by me.

Dont know whether that has any bearing on it or not. Been gtgo for me.

I have heard of some problems (and had some myself ) with One Shot. If I dont get all the cases pretty well covered in the loading block they stick on me, just like yours. Hope this helps.

The skinny here on the forum is to avoid One Shot for rifle cases. I believe Dillon's spray lube (basically, lanolin in an alcohol base) is one of the preferred options.

The skinny here on the forum is to avoid One Shot for rifle cases. I believe Dillon's spray lube (basically, lanolin in an alcohol base) is one of the preferred options.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will soak the cases down pretty good until I use up the rest of the One Shot and in the meantime order some of the Dillon's spray lube. I am alway quick to try a new product (new to me anyway) especially if it works better than what I have. Anything is better than going back to the old "felt pad and cold Karo Syrup type lube".

I've never had the slightest problem with PRVI brass. Altho all have mine have been once fired by me.

Dont know whether that has any bearing on it or not. Been gtgo for me.

I have heard of some problems (and had some myself ) with One Shot. If I dont get all the cases pretty well covered in the loading block they stick on me, just like yours. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. You didn't mention what you shoot the PRVI ammo in. Hoowever, I will probably go ahead and use the brass I have and evaluate things again after several loadings if all goes well. As far as the PRVI .224 bullets; I haven't shot any yet so no oponion.

I have not had any problems resizing Privi brass.

You can make you own sizing lube with 99% ISO alcohol & 100% lanolin oil (health food store)

85% ISO +15% lanolin should do the trick. Pour it into a old pump spray bottle.

I have not had any problems resizing Privi brass.

You can make you own sizing lube with 99% ISO alcohol & 100% lanolin oil (health food store)

85% ISO +15% lanolin should do the trick. Pour it into a old pump spray bottle.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I am going to try your formula for sizing lube. The reason I used "Estimator" (for lack of knowing what to use as a name) is due to me being a project manager and estimator for a commerical and industrial paint company. Thus, I have access to gallons of ISO alcohol.

Great tip, thanks.

OneShot sucks for rifle brass, especially 308 brass. What I do is wander into the grocery store, buy a couple of bottles of 99% Isopropryl Alcohol in the pharmacy section, then 2 tubes of lanolin (in the breast feeding/baby food section. Head home, warm up the lanolin in a pan of warm water on the stove until its about the consistency of melted bacon grease. If you skip this step the lanolin won't mix in with the 99% alcohol.

Then pour off some of the 99% alcohol until you can get all of the melted lanolin into the bottle. Shake it up to make sure that it mixes well without any clumping. Transfer into a .69c spray bottle from Home Depot (or left over from something else) and go to Town. You won't save much over buying Dillon lube this way, its about the same cost, but it costs nothing to ship and you can make more of it at will.

OneShot sucks for rifle brass, especially 308 brass. What I do is wander into the grocery store, buy a couple of bottles of 99% Isopropryl Alcohol in the pharmacy section, then 2 tubes of lanolin (in the breast feeding/baby food section. Head home, warm up the lanolin in a pan of warm water on the stove until its about the consistency of melted bacon grease. If you skip this step the lanolin won't mix in with the 99% alcohol.

Then pour off some of the 99% alcohol until you can get all of the melted lanolin into the bottle. Shake it up to make sure that it mixes well without any clumping. Transfer into a .69c spray bottle from Home Depot (or left over from something else) and go to Town. You won't save much over buying Dillon lube this way, its about the same cost, but it costs nothing to ship and you can make more of it at will.

Once again, I appreciate the imput. Yes, I am going to make a trip to the store for lanolin and make my own lube as you have suggested.

In retrospect, I may have been a bit hasty in blaming the Prvi Partizan brass and not taking a closer look at the lube situation. However, judging from the "feel" of the shell that stuck I think Lake City brass would have pulled out ok. At this point I am going to use the Prvi brass and see how it does.

I used to shear sheep as a kid. The softest a farmers hands would ever be was at sheep shearing time due to the lanolin in the wool. So---if you hold the shell tray over the trash can to spray the lanolin and overspray your hands you will get an added benifit

Is it necessary to remove the lanolin case lubes before loading, ie, do they effect powder and/or primers? And I have not had any problems using One Shot but like another poster, always willing to try something new.

Is it necessary to remove the lanolin case lubes before loading, ie, do they effect powder and/or primers? And I have not had any problems using One Shot but like another poster, always willing to try something new.

Although I have yet to use the lanolin mixture I plan to use the same method as with other lubes. After running the shell through the size die I wipe the shell off fairly well with a dry rag.

When triming new, or once fired (bulk from Lake City) brass I use a Sinclair/Wilson trimmer which leaves lots of brass shavings in the neck. I tap the shell on the bench to remove most of the shavings then run a .22 (for .223) bore cleaning mop dipped in alcohol through the neck to remove any additional shavings and also remove any lube so the seated bullet will have a good metal to metal contact. I don't crimp the .223 bullets and want a snug seat.

Is the PP brass brand new never fired? There's often some complaint on here about running brand new brass through a press. It's too clean even with lube. I've read on here to run the brass in your polisher for a while. Dunno, I've never had brand new brass but it may be worth a shot while you are out picking up the supplies to make new lube.