Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scope mount question

david.bergen

Which mount places the scope the furthest to the front?

I have a PEPR mount and it's a little bit to short for mounting the Trijicon TR24 for me.

La Rue is to expensive over here (if you can get it)

JP mount is available but don't know if it's better in the eye relief then the Burris mount

Thanks,

David

Which mount places the scope the furthest to the front?

I have a PEPR mount and it's a little bit to short for mounting the Trijicon TR24 for me.

La Rue is to expensive over here (if you can get it)

JP mount is available but don't know if it's better in the eye relief then the Burris mount

Thanks,

David

I just bought a TR21 and put it on a LaRue Tactical SPR-E LT-139. It is nice despite the $220. I set the mount all the way forward on my firebird precison upper's rail and that finally gets the eye relief correct. It is way out front and you can rest your nose up against the charging handle if need be. Anything farther back and you won't be happy IMHO.

Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

David, the JP mount is 1" less than the Burris PEPR. I have both, just measured them. The Burris places the center of the scope about 1/8" higher than the JP and allows forward mounting by 1" more.

One thing you can do with the JP that I don't think you can do with the PEPR, is you can mount it with the front mounting bolt forward of the receiver. It still clamps down tight. The TR24 doesn't have the huge eye relief that the 21 has, iirc, so I you may not need the extended LaRue.

Look at the Armalite mount. You can also mount it with the front bolt forward of the receiver if you need to, because of the built-in recoil lug. AND, it isn't NEARLY as expensive as the LaRue. I have several of them on different rifles, and I think it's the most versatile AR scope mount there is for the money. It also puts the scope at just the right height for me.

I am using the Burris at the moment. If I lengthen my stock a bit and don't shoot nose to the charging handle it works.

I hope it's just getting used to.

Nose to the charging handle is still the way to go I think as a repeatable position behind the scope elliminates possible parallax at the short distances.

A friend told me not to warry about it.

David

If you are used to shooting nose to charging handle, and your current setup won't let you do that, then you are fighting a losing battle. It may be time to try something different.

My first scope mount consisted of a YHM riser with Millet medium rings.

scope2.jpg

The riser I used was the 5" model, but they also make a 6" version. You may want to go for the 6" and see where your scope ends up, the extra can be cut off and a bit of cold blue will take care of the shiney spot. This setup put the scope centerline at 1.71" above the bore, so it's about 1/4" higher than the normal AR sight line, but it didn't bother me any. If it sounds like it will be a problem, then there are other rings out there that are a bit lower. Total cost of the parts was about $85 if I remember right. It may not be quite as sexy as a one piece mount or a fancy quick release mount, but it put the scope where it needed to be and was solid.

There are options out there that will put the scope where YOU need it, and they don't have to break the bank.

Hope this helps.