Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RL1050 - Station 3 - Neck Expander Die

I typically load 9mm, 38 Special and 45 ACP on my RL1050. I also have the tooling to load .44 Magnum and switched the RL1050 over to 44 to do a small run of LSWC's. My 44 tooling doesn't see anywhere near the use the other calibers I have.

I immediately noticed when loading 44 rounds that the expander die seems to expand the case more on my 44 brass than it does on my other calibers. My theory is that the expander on my other calibers is not as effective as they once were having worn down from use.

Has anyone else noticed their expander die on the 1050 series wearing down over time? Does anyone happen to know what the 45 ACP expander die dimensions should be?

Regards...

Hello: The expander die is adjustable so you may have to adjust your die. I have loaded alot of 9mm and 40 and have not noticed any wear at all. The oxide coating has worn off but the shoulder has no wear on it. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific. I'm focusing on the lower part of the die below the bump that ensures the neck is uniform and in some calibers supports the case while the swager rod comes up into the primer pocket. The ones I have look worn but without a measurement from a new expander die there isn't anyway to tell.

Regards...

On the 45 expander die, the lower portion that expands the case neck measures .454" diameter, +/- .001".

Thank you...

Regards...

If it comes out the sizing die @ .454 +/- then the neck expanding portion won't do anything. If it comes out the sizing die smaller then that then it will open it up to that point. If it comes out the sizing die larger then that you could have some serious bullet tension issues.

Edited by 98sr20ve