Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Open Gun Slide-frame Fit.

Rush

Hoping that I could get some recommendations from the gunsmiths here. I was just wondering what would be the best way forward. My 38S open gun slide to frame fit has now become a little loose. Nothing like a production gun....

Although when the frame,slide, barrel are assembled, there seems to be no play at all....

I did notice that if I use slide guide on the rails, the play is significantly reduced to become almost unnoticeable :D (This is w/o the barrel)

I'm just wondering whether I should get the slide-frame fit fixed immediately even though there seems to be no apparent loss on accuracy. What would be the best way to remove the slide-frame play?

Thanks in Adavance to all and Regards,

If the gun is accurate then leave it alone. Now the thng with an open gun is the sight is mounted on the frame (most of the time, unless you have one of the firepoint other slide mounted sights) so it is important that the slide locks up to the frame the same every time. Barrel fit is paramount for this. But if you want you can have the gun Acc-U-Railed and this will tighten the gun up better than new. Some like acc-u-rails, some don't. I have used them for over 4 or 5 years and have many friends who have them and they all love it. And I have never seen one break, although some people report that theirs have broke, the rail that is.

Thanks Paul... What's acc-u-rail?

Loves2shoot, I'm a mech engineer.. so I always worry about things that don't fit right :D even when it ain't broke, we tend to try fix it when it starts wobbling about even a little bit....

I'll leave it alone until I can feel the whole barrel/slide/frame assembly move abit more.

Let me see where I can get this accu-rail :D

Regards and Thanks lots

Thanks Erik,

appreciate the forum links. I'm trying to do more research on the principle of the thing and who makes it. makes me appreciate a product more if I can see how it works, is installed and who made it... the engineer in me I guess. I need a technical explanation on new things before I give it a try :D

Regards,

Thanks. Its not to bad yet.. I just tested at the range this morning. sub 1" groups at 15 yds so not to worrying yet...

One thing I learned was not to use the teflon 124 gr coated bullets... I can't make them group no matter what I do... lead of fmj rocks!

Regards

RUSH,

I have to go with Loves2Shoot............. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Also, excepting LOTS of rounds fired........... like really big volume, the pistol will wear more early in it's use when it is really tight, then will reach a plateau where it seems to not wear farther for a long, long, time. If it is still accurate (and YOU are accurate with it), just enjoy it.

I am also an engineer by education (aerospace), and we really have to WORK on getting over the "ticky-dot" little stuff :P:P !!! I am (and have been for almost 30 years) an appraiser of commercial/industrial/institutional real estate......... talk about an "anal retentive" group!! These guys/women put engineers to shame.... talk about a group that is a pain in the butt!!! :wacko::blink::wacko: Sometimes I feel like I need to go hang out with a "devil-may-care" group of looser people, so I go looking for engineers!!! :P

Best of luck,

Jeffro (Jeff)

:D lol.... thanks.. Its staying as is for the moment...

Although i"m building a new open super 38 right now, I was thinking of making the older gun a sort of project gun. like cut the slide by 3/4" to 1/2", commander bull barrel comp to make it a shorty... I'm gonna let that idea stew for a while...

Rgds