Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

700X dispenses poorly...

kamikaze1a

I finally got around to trying some different powders lastnight. My supply of preferred Bullseye dwindling so trying some alternates. Found that 700X does not meaure well for small bushings/disks like you would use for loading 9mm minor. I got 2+ grs if I shook the dispenser followed by >1gr on following throws. I think the big, flat flakes clogging up the hopper. I used to use that same powder for 12ga and it threw well in the bigger bushings of my shotshell loader. The HP38 dispensed just fine...

I finally got around to trying some different powders lastnight. My supply of preferred Bullseye dwindling so trying some alternates. Found that 700X does not meaure well for small bushings/disks like you would use for loading 9mm minor. I got 2+ grs if I shook the dispenser followed by >1gr on following throws. I think the big, flat flakes clogging up the hopper. I used to use that same powder for 12ga and it threw well in the bigger bushings of my shotshell loader. The HP38 dispensed just fine...

What kind of powder measure and what was the charge weight you were targeting? I am planning on using some 700x and this is not good news...

I got 2+ grs if I shook the dispenser followed by >1gr on following throws.

Things that work for me when using bulky powders: After you fill the hopper, drum your fingers against the side. You'll see the powder start to settle. Throw about ten charges without weighing and dump them back in, and then start weighing. Bulky powders just take a while to settle.

A newer powder that works well for loads that traditionally used Bullseye and 700X is Winchester Super Target (WST). WST's burn rate is in the same ballpark, it's about the same price, and it meters really well...and it was originally marketed as a shotgun powder, so there's lots of shotgun data for it too.

Things that work for me when using bulky powders: After you fill the hopper, drum your fingers against the side. You'll see the powder start to settle. Throw about ten charges without weighing and dump them back in, and then start weighing. Bulky powders just take a while to settle.

A newer powder that works well for loads that traditionally used Bullseye and 700X is Winchester Super Target (WST). WST's burn rate is in the same ballpark, it's about the same price, and it meters really well...and it was originally marketed as a shotgun powder, so there's lots of shotgun data for it too.

Unfortunately, I did try throwing over a dozen charges and unless I tapped the dispenser, it would throw way light. I'm going to check the results with a bigger charge like I would use for 40 or 45...hopefully I'll get more consistant metering with a larger volume bushing.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for WST it meters as well as 231!

700-X dispenses fairly reliably in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure, so long as I tap the side of the rotor housing the same number of times for each throw, and manipulate the lever the same way. I also have to keep the powder level between 2/3 full to 1/3 full, or the charge varies. I scale test every tenth load.

Any change to this dispensing routine will vary the charge, so I have to stay alert. Benefit to me is that this powder burns clean in my HG, and is readily available hereabouts.

For a 123gr FMJ bullet (not fully encapsulated), 3.9gr IMR 700-X pushes it to +/- 1,058fps,

for a 130 PF. This load fills the case pretty good, so that it will overflow in case of a dbl charge.

edit: I'll try WST when I find it.

Edited by mountaincoulee