Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Observe and Report

Dan Hefta

I just rented Observe and Report, I am not a Seth Rogan fan and I thought that this movie was going to be a Paul Blart Mall Cop copycat movie. I was surprised at how funny this movie was and I really enjoyed it, of coarse it is vulgar and full of F bombs (typical Seth Rogan movie) but the story was good and the supporting actors were great. My wife even liked it, worth renting. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

This pains me to admit. I'm a huge Seth Rogen fan, but I really did not like this movie! To me the humor didn't work. Except for a couple of scenes Rogen seemed entirely out of place. To say that a movie star is type casts can be a bad thing I suppose for their career, but Rogen plays one of the best loser stoned guys in cinema history! Check out his role in Funny People. No body on this planet could have played that part better. He was perfect and the movie became instantly enjoyable because just that one actor really nailed his role. I think to make this work they should have completely dropped the comedy aspect and shot straight for a serious drama. I saw the 'not enough pigs' scene as a major sad moment for the character. How is a complete mental break down like that humor?

Like I said Rogen is a terrific actor and I've super enjoyed all his other work. I actually watched this one three times thinking maybe I wasn't in the right mood the first one or so. No help. Should have been a serious reflection of the main characters personality and his issues. I think Rogen could pull that off, but not mixed in with disconnected jokes.

All that said there are the occasional funny lines in the flick. Just not enough to make it a successful comedy in my book...

• 10 months later...