Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone load Universal Clays with 124gr RN 9mm?

seeds76

I was loading a RN plated over 4.3 grains of Universal, 1.142 OAL, crimped at .378, with good results.

I am new to reloading so I had a stupid question for you that somewhat related to the load you asked about. I am having accuracy issues with every load I make. I have tried 3 powders, Universal Clays, Tite Group, & Unique with various AOL's, powder weights, 119 FMJ's, 124 RN's, & 147 RN's but nothing accuracy wise is even as close to Winchester White Box ammo. I'm talking 2-3" groups at 25 yds vs. 5-8" groups at 25 yds. :wacko:

So I think my crimp may be the problem and since you mentioned a crimp dimension I thought I'd throw this at you. My question for you is when you measure your crimp are you simply putting the calipers around the finished bullet/case for the measurement. Second question is what is a good range for the crimp to run? I should mention that I am using a XL650 with RCBS dies. The RCBS crimping and seating die is one in the same.

What bullets ? need to get more specific about RN's. are you using plated, cast or jacketed, if so what brand and claimed diameter ?

PS Universal is a pretty slow powder for 9mm. I wouldnt want to deal with the extra recoil and eye blinding muzzel blast it generates unless I was running a compensator.

What bullets ? need to get more specific about RN's. are you using plated, cast or jacketed, if so what brand and claimed diameter ?

PS Universal is a pretty slow powder for 9mm. I wouldnt want to deal with the extra recoil and eye blinding muzzel blast it generates unless I was running a compensator.

that's how new I am to reloading I don't even know off the top of my head. I'll. Do some research and post it up.

A good indicator of too light of a crimp is varying velocities, if your getting a large standard deviation it may be the crimp. That being said 9 mm doesn't usually require much of a crimp, I only crimp 9 mm enough to remove the flare, the case neck is tapered and that usually holds the bullet well, you should be seeing where the back of the bullet is seated in the case.

I've loaded a few thousand rounds of 9mm 124gr using Universal (Precision Delta FMJ and Montana Gold CMJ).

At a power factor of about 130 (about 4.3-4.4gr), it's noticably softer shooting than typical 115gr factory ammo.

It's been posted here before (maybe in a faq) but for 9mm, to adjust your crimp, measure the diameter of your bullets. Measure the thickness of your brass. Aim for a mouth diameter on loaded ammo of

bullet diameter + 2xBrass thickness

i.e. no real crimp...just remove the bell/flare you put in for seating the bullet.

4.0 gr. of Univ. Clays behind a 124 Precision Delta FMJ @ 1.100" OAL gave me a ~130 PF from my Glock 34. Didn't shoot that much of them before switching to a 147 FMJ, but I don't recall any problems with accuracy or anything.

Where'd you get the idea for that load? That's about 10% below minimum from the two data sources I've seen.

4.0 gr. of Univ. Clays behind a 124 Precision Delta FMJ @ 1.100" OAL gave me a ~130 PF from my Glock 34. Didn't shoot that much of them before switching to a 147 FMJ, but I don't recall any problems with accuracy or anything.

Where'd you get the idea for that load? That's about 10% below minimum from the two data sources I've seen.

4.5 Universal, 124 montana gold cmj, 1.125 OAL, CCI sp primers.......130 power factor, very little if any smoke, shot soft and fairly flat out of my g34. I did notice a little more muzzle flash than my HS-6 loads. Gunna work some different ones up tonight and will update when I test them out.

I loaded 4.6 gr UC with a Zero 125 gr HP, Fed 100 primers and it averaged 1030 fps with ES of 17. Very accurate out of my STI 9mm Stinger with a C-More. PF was 128,750 and my 20 yard group from a rest was 1.23" for 5 shots, with 4 in .563". Seemed a little smokey.... BTW, the OAL was 1.163

I just worked my way down to it. Apparently the powder I have is from a very hot lot. My first outing was right from the Sierra loading manual and it listed 5.0gr. for ~ 1050 fps. Imagine my surprise when it chrono'd 1285 fps (5 shot average) from a glock 19!!! (Yep, it felt like a cannon.) For comparison sake, I typically run MGB 147 CMJs at 1.100" OAL, ahead of 3.6 gr. of the stuff for about a 134 pf.

I was loading a RN plated over 4.3 grains of Universal, 1.142 OAL, crimped at .378, with good results.

I am new to reloading so I had a stupid question for you that somewhat related to the load you asked about. I am having accuracy issues with every load I make. I have tried 3 powders, Universal Clays, Tite Group, & Unique with various AOL's, powder weights, 119 FMJ's, 124 RN's, & 147 RN's but nothing accuracy wise is even as close to Winchester White Box ammo. I'm talking 2-3" groups at 25 yds vs. 5-8" groups at 25 yds. :wacko:

So I think my crimp may be the problem and since you mentioned a crimp dimension I thought I'd throw this at you. My question for you is when you measure your crimp are you simply putting the calipers around the finished bullet/case for the measurement. Second question is what is a good range for the crimp to run? I should mention that I am using a XL650 with RCBS dies. The RCBS crimping and seating die is one in the same.

I measure the case as close as possible to the seated bullet. With plated bullets, too much crimp will definitely destroy accuracy. Also with plated, try varying your OAL to solve accuracy problems that aren't crimp related.

I just worked my way down to it. Apparently the powder I have is from a very hot lot. My first outing was right from the Sierra loading manual and it listed 5.0gr. for ~ 1050 fps. Imagine my surprise when it chrono'd 1285 fps (5 shot average) from a glock 19!!! (Yep, it felt like a cannon.) For comparison sake, I typically run MGB 147 CMJs at 1.100" OAL, ahead of 3.6 gr. of the stuff for about a 134 pf.

Are you sure about that data? I don't have the book or my data in front of me, but IIRC, with Universal and a 124gr 9mm, 5gr is right at or above the max load. When I loaded up my first few small batches, I think 4.8gr was as high as I went. Out of a Glock 17, I did get more velocity than the Speer manual said to expect, based on what I've seen, I'd be surprised if 4gr broke 1000fps. You are loading shorter than me. IIRC, mine are more like 1.145 - 1.150.