Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Functions Better Dirty???

PistolPete

My open gun seems to be more reliable when I don't clean it. Many times right after I clean it the gun will jam on me. Is this a possible observation? I only use a little bit of oil on the gun along with slideglide. Is it just a coincidence or could this be true?

Thanks,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I run my gun till it jams. ill clean the bore after every match and put some oil on the slide rails and the tip of the hammer. if the gun starts to jam, ill clean it. before a big match ill clean it and then put at least 50-100 rounds through it.

I remember years ago, in my region some of the old boy's shooting single stack Wilson .45 and .38S Open guns would shoot, and shoot, you get the idea between cleanings. I remember seeing grungy and scuzzy looking guns on the safety area table long before the match had started. I clean mine between every trip to the range and before a match this includes mags too. I don't want to have an excuse of 'the gun was dirty' :P I have though gone to the range and fired 50 rounds or so: groups, chrono, etc... and left the gun as is for the match, I wouldn't think your gun even with dirty powder would foul up that quickly.

Pete,

Yes, it's true. My gun has been going strong for about 8 months without a cleaning. Last time I cleaned it, it laid down on me in the middle of a match. Just a touch of lube before the match and maybe halfway through. I wipe the chunky stuff out when I chamber check ammo, but other than that, nothing. The gun is just over a year old and nearly as tight as the day I got her.

Benny, you probably didn't want to know that. :)

Liota