Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magazines for Glock

SuperD

I just purchased a Glock and I need to get a couple additional magazines. I would like to get some hicapacity ones but living in NY that means they would need to be preban (manufactured prior to Sept 94). I've seen 9mm factory ones going for $80 is that really the going price of these or what do you guys think is an average cost?

I have seen some aftermarket ones by Promag selling for $25 or less are these any good and reliable? For I've seen both 17rd NDF Polymer and 15rd DF Steel reinforced Polymer. Is one better than another? What about USA BRAND or Scherer mags?

Thanks for any advice. Also if anyone knows where I can find some factory ones at a reasonable cost please let me know.

OEM Glock magazines are the only way to go. Aftermarket magazines are not perfected for Glocks yet as far as I know.

Spend the extra few bucks and get Glock factory mags. That said, 80.00 seems WAY to high. But if I am understanding you correctly, you must buy them in-state from a pre-ban owning person, correct? If that is the case, unfortunately the regular market won't reflect what you may pay. Make sure you double check your local laws regarding buying regular capacity mags in-state.

Also, go for the metal lined mags, the NDF ones are called that for a reason and who wants a sticky mag?

If you're planning on shooting production with a 17 or 34, the ten rounders work well in fullsize 9mm guns. The ten rounders don't work nearly as well in the .40 or .45.....

The ten rounders are cheap --- at least by comparison to preban full capacity mags in NY State....

If you want to be more specific about which model Glock we're talking about, and what you want to use it for, we may be able to provide more useful suggestions....

If you're planning on shooting production with a 17 or 34, the ten rounders work well in fullsize 9mm guns.

My experience is different from Nik's on the 10-rounders. I have used six of these for practice nearly twice a week for the last few years. I actually used to use them in matches, until I had occasional problems with them. I change springs yearly (I've never changed springs in my hi-caps) and I've gotten them fairly reliable by swapping some of the followers, but I have and continue to have numerous failures to feed in practice, especially when the gun is dirty. In my experience they are, at best, OK if you have to use them, but certainly no where near as reliable as the metal-lined hi-caps. YMMV.

Curtis

But if I am understanding you correctly, you must buy them in-state from a pre-ban owning person, correct? If that is the case, unfortunately the regular market won't reflect what you may pay. Make sure you double check your local laws regarding buying regular capacity mags in-state.

No. they do not need to be purchased from a person within NY State. They can be purchased and shipped from a person out-of-state. The magazines just need to be manufactured prior to Sept-1994.

If you want to be more specific about which model Glock we're talking about, and what you want to use it for, we may be able to provide more useful suggestions....

I just purchased a Glock 22 and I plan to get a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel which I will need 9mm magazines to work with the conversion. I plan to reload 9's because I have thousand of once fired pieces of brass from the club range and there isn't much for free 40 S&W brass. Also being new to pistol shooting 9's will be cheaper to shoot so I can afford to shoot more practice rounds. I plan to shoot production at our local matches. Before you say it I realize that the conversion barrel is not legal for production class however that is criticized at the local matches. I know that I am limited to 10 rounds for production but I was trying to think ahead and if I ever wanted to shoot Limited-Minor by purchasing the hicapasity magazines I would have the necessary equipment for it.

OMB had glock Mags on sale this weekend for $19.95 each how much cheaper do you want them?

who is OMB?

BayouSlide sorry for the confusion that was my fault. the club is OK with the caliber change for practice. I want to shoot the cheaper ammo for practice and possibly if I ever choose to shoot limited-minor. I can't afford to shoot 40 for all the practice round I plan on shooting.

Edited by SuperD

I just purchased a Glock 22 and I plan to get a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel which I will need 9mm magazines to work with the conversion. I plan to reload 9's because I have thousand of once fired pieces of brass from the club range and there isn't much for free 40 S&W brass. Also being new to pistol shooting 9's will be cheaper to shoot so I can afford to shoot more practice rounds. I plan to shoot production at our local matches. Before you say it I realize that the conversion barrel is not legal for production class however that is criticized at the local matches. I know that I am limited to 10 rounds for production but I was trying to think ahead and if I ever wanted to shoot Limited-Minor by purchasing the hicapasity magazines I would have the necessary equipment for it.

Unfortunately you will not be legal for Production with a caliber change to 9mm with your Glock 22. You could shoot it in the original configuration however.

Curtis

Edited to add: in re-reading your post, I am a little confused. Are you saying your local club is OK with such a caliber change? If so, they are in violation of USPSA rules if they are running a sanctioned match.

From the NROI Interpretation for the Production Division Equipment Rules (Appendix D4) June 25, 2009

21.4 After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour and caliber as original factory standard.....

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

Edited by BayouSlide

Hopefully someone will sell you some pre-ban mags for replacement cost. When the ban lifted I sold my old pre-ban mags for replacement costs to a guy in NJ

When you have enough posts put a WTB (want to buy) post in the classifieds here, I'd also hit GlockTalk for that.

I have three Glock 22 mags that I believe are pre-ban. How do you tell the difference? I kinda sorta can get all the G22 high cap mags I want, so I don't really need those three. also, to make sure nobody trys to ding me for having Uncle Sam's property in personal use I bought a small pile of current mags as well. I got the older mags with my first G22 that I bought around 1994 and not long before the ban if I remember correctly. The basepads of two have "3026" on them and the third has a different number I can't recall offhand.

I'd sell them for replacement cost (they're in good shape) to someone that needed them...assuming they are pre-ban and would be helpful. R,

Glock hi-cap mag manufactured after the ban have markings between the witness holes stating "Restricted in USA - Post 9.13.94", I have 9 mm 17 rnd mags with and without the marking on them.

Edited by RogerT