Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm "U" die issues

Alan Adamson

I recently picked up a a Lee "U" die for my 9mm setup... I ran a few rounds through it and it was putting an actual "ridge" in the brass at the point where it stopped going down and returned when cycled - NOT GOOD. You could actually see and feel this ridge. Also the carbide insert was about .1" up inside the mouth of the die, not right at the edge.

I called EGW, they said call Lee, so I did.... They said they had some bad "sintered" inserts that had a sharp edge on them and it sounded like I had one. They shipped me a new body for it and today I got that. Installed it and YEAH - no more problem. Also due to the insert being at the face of the die and not offset by .1", they go further down on the brass. The other die (which had the bad insert) and a Dillon die, cycled the same, so I ran the Dillon until I figured out this fix.

So, FYI, if you decide to replace your U die or get one, be cognizant of this issue. I can tell you right away if you have it, just cycle a brass and show it to me, it's pretty obvious.

Great customer service too btw...

ps. I'll see if I can take a couple of pictures of what the cases looked like from the original body... that is if I didn't throw them all away.

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Did you have to send your die back or did they just send you one? Just curious. I've always had good customer service from Lee but always had to send the bad/broke stuff back first.

Nope, just called them, splained what I had, they said, they would just send me a new body only, I simply pulled the primer punch and placed it in the new body.

Alan

I just got off the phone with Lee and talked to a tech. More than willing to exchange the die (yep, some didn't get chamfered right he said) but I gotta send mine back. Off to the post office I guess.

• 3 weeks later...