Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We got our hands on some good steel for a good price and are wanting to make some targets mainly for practice. We are doing probably 8 in. plates and 9 x 15 rectangles. They are going to be non-reactive.

Does anyone have experience mounting them to a stand of some sort. Drawings would be great. The ones I've done in the past had a square "female end" on the back of the plate to receive a 4 x 4 with a base on the ground. It worked pretty well, but I thought I would ask for other ideas.

Also we want the plates to angle slightly downward for safety reasons. The range we use is pretty anal about shooting steel.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Smitty

Here is a thread that I post some pics on:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=5336&hl=steel

These are our Steel Challenge targets and stands.

Pretty nice design...completely modular. You can use any length of post that fits the stage design. And, you can swap targets easily. Solid...but, they break down into managable pieces.

smittyFL,

one thing about the angle idea. first, you will need to use both sides of the plate. this wouldn't work if you angle one side. second, if the steel is perfectly flat and perpendicular splatter is reduced.

the main issue with steel plate stands is that they should fall when hit and not turn sideways.

lynn

Thanks all,

Flex, your pics are something like I was thinking about. My concern with using angle iron for the post is deflection.....as I said the range is a bit anal about shooting steel, do you have any problems with hitting the post? Also the connectioin to the target: is it just a female end for the angle iron to go into and the bolts just allow a new braket to be attached to the target? It is a bit tough for me to tell how that connection works.

The Rio Salado guys have a pretty nice setup (there's a picture of their steel shed in my Area 2 pictures). The plates have a bracket on back that hangs on a welded rebar stand. Doesn't fold up quite so nice, but they use 'em forever and for everything-- ropes, barricades, whatever. Cheap too, I'd bet.

Flex, your pics are something like I was thinking about. My concern with using angle iron for the post is deflection.....as I said the range is a bit anal about shooting steel, do you have any problems with hitting the post?

The posts get hit often enough. I have never witnessed (nor heard about) any problems.

Also the connectioin to the target: is it just a female end for the angle iron to go into and the bolts just allow a new braket to be attached to the target? It is a bit tough for me to tell how that connection works.

Sound like you have it figured out.

Thanks alot Flex, Just what I was looking for.

Any other ideas out there are welcome, my only concern with Flex's setup is our club might freak over the angle iron bouncing rounds into the next county and killing inocent women and children. (they are just covering their a$$, for insurance, I fully understand, but I'm a new member and don't want to piss anyone off)

Smitty,

locally the steel matches use steel in all shapes and sizes with two curved hooks welded to the back of the plate, pointing down. The hooks hook into two circular channels --- picture drinking straws held vertically --- that are welded onto a metal cap that sits atop a 4x4. The other end of the 4x4 sits in a base....

The hooks allow the plate to be slightly angled toward the ground, and different lengths of 4x4 let you adjust the height....

We got our hands on some good steel for a good price

SmittyFL,

I was wondering what you bought for steel and how you plan on working with it.

I bought 12" x 12" x 3/8" AR400 plates from a local steel yard. I think they will work great due to their hardness. However, that hardness also makes it near impossible to cut. I was going to try my plasma cutter on a scrap piece but for now the squares are OK.

Steve

Steve,

We got a couple sheets of AR 480 18 x 70 x 1/2. I've talked to two steel / welder guys and they both said it can be cut with a conventional torch. We are just using it for practice so we are making 8" plates and probably some 9 x 15's. I don't know anything about welding or steel, so I'm just going on what these guys are telling me. I'll let you know how it works out.

Smitty