Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder And Slide

Rufus The Bum

I got a letter in the mail the other day from Cylinder and Slide telling me they are ready to work on my gun and to send it in. Well I was perpexed about why they were sending me this letter, so I got on the phone and asked what the deal was. Well this guy on the other end told me I had contacted them last December about having some front cocking serrations installed on my Single Stack. Last December? I had to think for about a minute until I finally remembered emailing them about this. 1 Year? Good Grief!!! "If you have a waiting list 1 year long, then you need to put a fire under your employees areses" Is what I told him. I let him know I found a guy 2 months ago who would do it and he did, I had my slide back in less than a week. Now THATS customer service.

These guys might be that busy, I don't know. But who in their right mind would wait nearly a year for about 20 minutes worth of work? Not I.

I had them tell me the same thing when I asked if they would install the "extra leverage" sear lever in my HI-power. That really is a 30 minute job. And after they told me it would be at least nine months to get to it, they told me they wouldn't install the sear lever only unless I bought a complete trigger job... because they said the sear lever would cause "creep". So, I decided to creep on down the highway and declined to pay +$300 for a job that basically involved drilling a very clean hole in the slide in the correct place so a new pivot pin could be installed for the different sear lever. They definitely seem to think that their fecal matter does not issue forth the same type of distinctive aroma as the rest of us mere mortals.

I have had worked done by C&S. I have been totally satisfied. Their customer service is superior. They never gave me the impression that ..... does not stink. In fact quite the opposite.

The fact is, they are very upfront about their lag times. They are a busy shop. Putting a fire under..... implies the staff is not working which is not true at C&S.

Going to any other smith is your right but bad mouthing somebody because they were following up with you is lame.

Slamming people because they can not get the work done in your time frame is not their fault.

As far as putting parts in, it is true you could drop a part in, and it is true that someone wants to do a quality job will tell you that other things need to be done at the same time to maximize the performance of the part.

I do not work for C&S, but I am very happy with their work. They have support USPSA long before most others and still are supporting us.

Going to any other smith is your right but bad mouthing somebody because they were following up with you is lame.

Slamming people because they can not get the work done in your time frame is not their fault.

Yeah it's probably lame, but when I want some work done on my pistol I'm using for competition, I'm willing to wait a fair amount of time, but there is absolutely no way I'm going to wait 11 months for someone to "get around to it"

Fact of the matter is, I sent my pistol to Action Works out in Arizona and he flat out told me it only takes 20 minutes.

I never said they think their shiznet doesn't stink, quite the contrary, he was a pretty nice guy, but I think their lag time just sucks, that's all.

I ordered an extractor from cylindar and slide and they would only ship it UPS. Charged me (if I remember correctly) over five dollars for shipping. I should of cancelled the order, but I fell for the marketing hype of the only "spring steel" extractor. Should of ordered a barstock caspian.

I have a personal policy about getting raped on shipping from any company. Something like what goes around comes around. I won't be purchasing any products from them in the future.

Here is an interesting thread(s) that makes you wonder if c&s backlog is causing quality control issues:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=44616

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=59996

Josh

I will have to agree that Bob L. is a great smith.

I have never fired one of his wepons but after shooting with Bob on several ocasions and talking with him in person I find that Bob is very smart and very forthcoming. This is very important for someone like my self who has good Ideas and sometimes needs that extra push to take things to the next level.

Bobs knowledge of metal ,machining , and gun function is very aperent when you get him one on one and ask the right questions.

I dont know of Bobs turn around time but some times good things come to those who wait. but at the same time I want to be young enough to enjoy that new blaster.

Johnnie

I live in Omaha so C&S is about a 20-30 minute drive for me. Have seen a few of their guns and they are nice but I have all my work done by Jim Anglin of Sailor's Custom Pistols. He is also local, great gunsmith and great person. If you subtract the time waiting for backorded parts, he took a week to build my gun.