Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Very Dirty Brass

sincityshooter

For all those who may not be in on the secret, an underlined word/phrase may well be a hyperlink. Unfortunately, or not, hyperlinks here look the same as a plain underlined word. I'll remember to make links a different color in the future.

E

TBF,

Pine Ola's main virtue is that it's cheap. It's a little on the viscous side, so I generally add denatured alcohol to thin it down. (Yeah, I know, flammable fumes and electricity are bad, but I like to live dangerously. What can I say...)

Dillon makes good polish, but at $8 a bottle, cleaning up really grungy brass becomes rather spendy. I wish Dillon would market it in a larger quantity- say half a gallon or a gallon and pass on the savings. (Hint...Hint...)

I had 10,000+ pieces of UGLY, NASTY, brown & corroded brass that I nearly threw away....

I decided to try the Iosso Brass Cleaner... WOW, I don't believe in majic but this stuff is awesome!

A 5 minute dip, dry, follow with 45 minutes in fresh walnut media with a little brass polish and voila!

Midway sells a good resonably price brass polish. It used to be sold under the Midway label, but now it's Frankford Arsenal. I think it's $15.00 a quart. A couple of teaspoons works well, lasts a long time. I've been using it with good results.