Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21, Bar-Sto barrel, 230 FMJ, Clays, How Much?

Lumpy McSoo

Hello,

Yes. I have done many searches. I have not found one for a Glock 21 (4.6 inch barrel) with an after market barrel (Bar-Sto) that has been Microlon treated (supposed to add 50-100 fps compared to barrel without the "teflon" treatment) and I want to make sure I meet Power Factor for an IDPA santioned shoot in a few weeks. The match director just sent out a notice that everyone's loads would be chronoed so don't be the one who gets DQ'd for not making Power Factor.

Oh, yes. I do have a chronograph but I have absolutely no time to go and chrony these loads in my set up. So YES, I have done searches and most seem to like 4.0 Clays under a 230 gr FMJ, but what crimp and COL.

Just to make sure I would make Power Factor, and following some of the results from some of the other searches, some go up to 4.2 grains Clays. So here is what I loaded about 100 of and they worked fine in my local indoor range that will let me shoot but not set up chrony since they are always busy.

Either Frontier CMJ 230 gr or Montana Gold CMJ 230 gr

Rem 2 1/2 Large Pistol primer

4.2 gs Clays

1.245 inch COL

0.469 inch crimp

They shot fine and were accurate but I did load up some 4.0 gr ones as well and they were even nicer feeling and accurate but I don't want to be the one who doesn't make Power Factor. I noticed no overpressure signs on the 4.2 gr loads after inspecting the brass.

Should I stay with the 4.2 gr Clays or drop it to 4.0 gr Clays and hope I don't come in at 164.9 Power Factor?

Who has 4.0 gr Clays load data that has done extensive testing out of the 4.6 inch Glock 21 barrel? Most of the searches result for 5.0 inch 1911 Governments. How much would 0.4 inch make on muzzle velocity? Bueller, Bueller....

Thanks, Lumpy.

I have never met an IDPA match that actually USED a chrono. At least not here in the Northeast. Even at the major matches. That's why I am a FORMER IDPA member. But I digress...

I own two Glock 21s and a Bar-Sto barrel. I also own three S&W 625s (a 625 is a revolver with a barrel/cylinder gap) with different barrel lengths. The Frontier plated 230 gr. RN loaded with 4.2 grs. of Clays tends to be very borderline at 165 PF in my 625 SAC Mountain Gun, which is the "slowest" of the lot. Considering the barrel of the Glock 21 is longer than 4" and there is no cylinder gap, I can assure you that 4.2 grs. of Clays will most assuredly give you enough cushion to make Major.

If you are intellectually honest enough that you are genuinely concerned about making PF and losing sleep over all this, I suggest you take up USPSA.

Dave Sinko

4.2gr of clays gets me 170pf with a 200gr SWC plated bullet out of a 5" 1911. You are probably OK with the 230gr bullet.

That being said, Nik is right. You want to be right, find the time for a chrono session, especially with an MG bullet. They have a tendency to take .1 to .3gr's more to make the same pf.