Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules question - Coaching?

atbarr

At our last USPSA shoot, one of the stages was shot where you traveled in an upside down "U". One of the shots was a popper. The shooter hit the popper, but it did not fall. The shooter did not notice. The SO did, and at the end asked the shooter a couple of times if he was through. The shooter said yes.

If I had yelled "popper!", and the shooter had turned and saw the popper and then shot it, would I have been wrong doing that?

A.T.

At our last USPSA shoot, one of the stages was shot where you traveled in an upside down "U". One of the shots was a popper. The shooter hit the popper, but it did not fall. The shooter did not notice. The SO did, and at the end asked the shooter a couple of times if he was through. The shooter said yes.

If I had yelled "popper!", and the shooter had turned and saw the popper and then shot it, would I have been wrong doing that?

A.T.

Yes. And if the shooter shoots the popper, the shooter AND you can be give a procedural penalty.

Rule:

Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor

during a course of fire (and the competitor receiving such assistance)

may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural

penalty for that stage and/or be subject to Section 10.6

Edited by racerba

A.T.

Yes, that is coaching.

8.6.1 No assistance of any kind can be given to a competitor during a course

of fire, except that any Range Officer assigned to a stage may issue

safety warnings to a competitor at any time. Such warnings will not be

grounds for the competitor to be awarded a reshoot.

8.6.2 Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor

during a course of fire (and the competitor receiving such assistance)

may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural

penalty for that stage and/or be subject to Section 10.6.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

A.T.

Yes. And if the shooter shoots the popper, the shooter AND you can be give a procedural penalty.

Yep, what I thought. But I sure as heck wanted to.

A.T.

A.T.

And most likely that late in the game the additional time for the shot would be worse than the 15 points.

USPSA=RO

8.6.2.1 When approved by the Range Officer, competitors at Level I

matches may, without penalty, receive whatever coaching or

assistance they request.

Clear it with the RO and yell your head off if ya like.....

Edited by JThompson

As a RO at a local match, primarily with new shooters, I will ask and then coach them if they desire. But... beware of yelling things from the peanut gallery. It tends to confuse both the RO and the shooter. I've seen it stop the shooter as well as pull the RO's attention from the shooter to see what's going on.

Also, a couple of years ago, at a level II match, I was sitting about 20 yards from a shooter who came to a point where their gun quit shooting. I could see the shooter pulling on the trigger but it wouldn't go bang. Honestly, I was sitting there kinda "willing" the shooter to notice the safety was engaged and was saying to myself, "safety, safety."

Well, the shooter looked over at me and said, "thank you" and the RO gave me a real dirty look. Seems like the electronic earmuffs both of them were wearing picked up what I was saying. I apologized to the RO after the COF was complete and told him I hadn't had any intention of the shooter hearing me. He might have even believed me. So my lesson learned was keep my mouth shut :roflol:

fwiw

dj