Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_I grip

olp73

I am redoing the scott grip on an SVI pistol. Everything looks pretty good except where I am trying to polish the plastic grip back to its original finish. For example under the trigger guard where I have done a high under cut.

I have tried to polish with everything from dremel polish past to tooth past. It still leaves a doll finish.

If anyone have a suggestion how to do this, please share.

If anyone have a suggestion how to do this, please share.

I don't think you're going to find a way to polish it to any sort of shine. You can make it a little glossy/glazed by a very slight bit of heat, but I haven't experimented with how much it takes to do that without melting anything.

Go over the area with a very fine wet/dry paper and then follow up with a fine polish on a felt wheel. Follow the polish up with a plain felt wheel and you should be close to the factory shine.

Thanks a lot, your method is working. I guess I wasn’t patient enough. It is important to use just the right amount of pressure, which is not much and use time.

the shine is back!

I'm not sure this will work on the plastic the grips are made of but when I am finishing the plastic ferrule on a golf club, I wipe it with acetone. It will shine the plastic up but too much will dissolve the plastic too.

• 2 weeks later...