Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 550- .223 sizing question

MAC10

hi, trying to figure something out. on a single stage, was always told to size first, then trim. i want to load a shitful of .223 on my dillon 550. how do you know the length of case after you size on the 550 without taking it out to check? seems to me it defeats the purpose of using a progressive if you have to check each one. unless there is a way to adjust the size die so a case will never stretch when sizing. any help? first time using 550 on rifle cases so i want to get it right the first time. thanks!

Always size first then trim.. and no, the length of the case is not consistent.

Most people run every case they size, through a trim step.

For rifle cases.. it works best to have 2 distinctive steps: case prep, then load them

I'll prep 2 tor 4 thousand case at a time.. then load them whenever I want larer.

There's a lot of threads here about trimming options.

There are some dies to look at X-Base, that are supposed to eliminate the need to trim AFTER the first time, but that assumes you're getting enough of your own brass (and can tell it's been X-Sized) - to make that worth your while.

For rifle cases.. it works best to have 2 distinctive steps: case prep, then load them

I'll prep 2 tor 4 thousand case at a time.. then load them whenever I want larer.

There are some dies to look at X-Base, that are supposed to eliminate the need to trim AFTER the first time, but that assumes you're getting enough of your own brass (and can tell it's been X-Sized) - to make that worth your while.

thanks, read the other reply below yours also. this kind of disappoints me. whats the sense of a size station on this 550 if you cant use it except for pistol cases. to bad there is not some great thinker out there that could think of a die that would keep case from stretching so you could load like a pistol case. but i guess every one else lives with, so can i! thanks again.

I bought this gadget right here to figure out how much I was bumping the shoulders back on my cases.

Of course, eliminating some of the up and down play in the tool head helps get more consistent results. So does having a case in every station of the shellplate...it helps take out some of the "float" in the shellplate.

Then I run stuff through the Possum Hollow cutter. To see how that works check out this video here:

And, yeah, I am also going with the RCBS X-sizer die, which requires the brass to be trimmed 20 thousandths under, so for .223 brass trim to 1.73" .

Once the brass has been trimmed to 1.73" , then loaded up and fired a second time, it goes through the X-sizer die with the mandrel screwed down. There is something special about how that mandrel and die is made that keeps the neck from stretching...so then it basically gets treated like straight walled semi-auto pistol brass after that (well, besides adding case lube). So basically that is, in my opinion, about the only way rifle reloading is going to get to being 100% progressively reloaded. No more on the press...off the press....back on the press rigamorale.

Edited by Chills1994

I keep an old Lee single stage press set up with a sizing die. I will size/decap a batch and them trim them with the possum hollow trimmer mentioned above and have them ready to load. I end up using the Dillon 550 to prime, charge the case and seat the bullet. It still goes quickly and your cases are the proper length. This isn't using the 550 to its full "progressive capacity", But it is still much faster than a single stage.

I keep an old Lee single stage press set up with a sizing die. I will size/decap a batch and them trim them with the possum hollow trimmer mentioned above and have them ready to load. I end up using the Dillon 550 to prime, charge the case and seat the bullet. It still goes quickly and your cases are the proper length. This isn't using the 550 to its full "progressive capacity", But it is still much faster than a single stage.

+1 on having a seperate single stage press to pre-process rifle cases for size and length. This will really simplify things in the end, though I know there are probably others here who don't do it this way. For anything from $30 to $80 depending on what type of single stage press you choose, you can insure the consistency of your rifle brass which will go a long way towards insuring function and accuracy, especially in a semi-auto platform. The single stage press will accept your Dillon dies (except if you have a Square Deal, which wouldnt load rifle brass anyway) so only the press will be needed to give some peace of mind and reloading accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a separate toolhead set up with a sizing die only. I find that this speeds up the process since I only have to insert the brass, don't have to remove it (ejected into a catch bin as the plate is advanced). Works even better on a 650.

thanks, read the other reply below yours also. this kind of disappoints me. whats the sense of a size station on this 550 if you cant use it except for pistol cases. to bad there is not some great thinker out there that could think of a die that would keep case from stretching so you could load like a pistol case. but i guess every one else lives with, so can i! thanks again.

The case stretches when its fired ...not so much when sized

Jim