Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ'd at first AREA match!

Rowdy-Finn

I feel your pain. My little brother was gone to finish his final year of duty for a year, comes back to finally shoot with his older brother at a local Level 2 match. At the end of his run, on his very last stage, he is taking his gear off pretty ecstatic to finally be shooting again. He takes his magazines off his belt, and places it on the table next to his bag. RO walks over and advises him that he just DQ'd as we were packing up to get on our way home. Welcome home! sucks

With his young baby, it may be a long while before he gets another kitchen pass.

I'm starting a new thread in the rules section to ask about this. If he'd completed the last stage of the match I'm not 100% certain that he could be DQ'd at that point because he'd finished the match. To avoid thread drift I won't add more, but you can see the thread in the rules section. R,

At our Section Championship, several years ago, one of our shooters had just completed his last stage. He had won the match hands down. In the process of praising himself and talking about how well he had shot the match...he walks over to the safe area; puts his bag on the table; and starts emptying bullets from his mags into his shooting bag (while still bragging about how well he shot). He was done. DQ. The RM (I think it was Hurst) stated that the match in fact was not over and that all rules applied (there were still competitors shooting). Not sure if the match is "officially" over until the one hour period is complete.

I feel your pain. My little brother was gone to finish his final year of duty for a year, comes back to finally shoot with his older brother at a local Level 2 match. At the end of his run, on his very last stage, he is taking his gear off pretty ecstatic to finally be shooting again. He takes his magazines off his belt, and places it on the table next to his bag. RO walks over and advises him that he just DQ'd as we were packing up to get on our way home. Welcome home! sucks

With his young baby, it may be a long while before he gets another kitchen pass.

Can someone explain why he was DQ'ed for this please.

Absolutely NO ammo in the "Safety Area"

A.T.

A.T.

Actually it is, No Ammo Handling in the Safety Area. Handling a magazine that has ammo in it is considered handling ammo.

A.T.

Actually it is, No Ammo Handling in the Safety Area. Handling a magazine that has ammo in it is considered handling ammo.

Alan, aren't we agreeing?

A.T.

A.T.

A.T.

A.T. It becomes semantics, you are allowed to enter a safety area with, loaded mags on your belt. You can not touch those loaded mags, while you are in the safety area.

I know some think you can not have ANY ammo in the safety area.

It's the subtlety of handling vs. absolutely no ammo. Having a magazine in the pouch is not handling (and by extension the ammo in the magazine) just like having a gun in a holster is not handling. Take the magazine out of the pouch and you are now handling it. Same as taking the gun out of the holster.

It is probably a good rule of thumb to keep ammo out of the safe area whether in a magazine or not so you aren't tempted to handle it as is pointed out by previous examples.

A.T.

A.T.

A.T. It becomes semantics, you are allowed to enter a safety area with, loaded mags on your belt. You can not touch those loaded mags, while you are in the safety area.

I know some think you can not have ANY ammo in the safety area.

Yeah, that what I thought. When I put my pistol in my holster, my loaded mags are still in my Jeep.

A.T.

The actual rule since we explained but didn't quote:

10.5.12 Handling live or dummy ammunition (including practice or training

rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines or loaded speed

loading devices in a Safety Area, or failing to comply with Rule 2.4.1.

The word “handling” does not preclude competitors from entering a

Safety Area with ammunition in magazines or speed loading devices on

their belt, in their pockets or in their range bag, provided the competitor

does not physically remove the loaded magazines or loaded speed

loading devices from their retaining or storage device while within the

Safety Area.

So can you handle an empty mag in a safe area?

Yes. You can practice reloads (with an empty mag of course). You may also need a magazine to fix a problem like say.. magazine catch etc.

But like having full mags on your belt. Why chance forgetting. Just my opinion.

I had the job at the area match back several year ago there to DQ a friend

for doing that very same thing. He was rushing between stages, and stopped

to reload his mags at the nice, big, table next to my stage. Didn't see the sign

on it.

We both looked at each other and then the sign, Safe Area, No Amo. then he

just said Oh S*#T..... :surprise: